1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray fretless, where to find?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thudfromafar, Feb 28, 2008.

1. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Do you have to order a stingray fretless specifically from EBMM? Or are they carried in guitar center or other instrument stores? (I haven't seen any yet)

I love my stingray, and I love fretless, so I figure I would love a stingray fretless. but I want to play one... :meh:

2. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
  3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

EBMM doesn't sell directly to the public.

+1 for Bass Central. They are excellent to deal with.

4. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I lucked out and found one in a local shop that happens to be a MM dealer.

Are you looking for a 4 or a 5? I will be listing my 5 for sale shortly.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I contacted Bass Central about buying a fretless SR5 a couple weeks ago. The ones that are listed on their website are apparently not actually in stock, they were talking about having to order them. I would have had to wait until late March/early April.

6. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I also will be listing a MM fretless w/lines, 4 string soon.....

7. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I would be looking for an HS unlined, not sure whether 4 or 5. But I'd have to play one first anyways. I haven't seen any of these at local stores which is why I'm asking. I guess I'd have to find some sort of EBMM dealer, play one similar to one I want, then have them custom order the specific colors, pickups and all that stuff? :eyebrow:

8. Thud

If you are serious about getting a fretless stingray, might i suggest that you give consideration to getting one with the piezo option (I have a SR H fretless 4). This is a GREAT addition to the bass and tonally, will give you a palette of sounds which are simply not possibly from the magnetic pickup alone...its MUCH smoother than the Mag P/UP.

If you play jazz, reggae, blues etc give it a whirl. You will not be disappointed. It is especially good for playing thumb style (with palm mute)...... Sounds fantastic

Having said that, if you favour less subtle styles such as rock...it probably wouldnt benefit you all that much.

I play a lot of jazz, reggae etc and the piezo option really REALLY makes it a very versatile bass.

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    +1 on the piezo; it adds a lot more to the fretless MMs than a neck pickup.

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
  11. I strongly suggest playing one before you buy it and doing some comparison shopping. I ended up completely underwhelmed with the fretless Stingray 5 I bought from the LA Bass Center back in the late 80's. I played several, and this was one of the better ones, which is why I settled for the lackluster black and white finish. I eventually discovered its nasty dead spots, limited versatility, mediocre "mwahh," nondescript tonal character, and very weak sustain. It was also four or five pounds overweight compared to my current fretless basses. The build quality was adequate for the money, and the neck felt nice, but the boat-anchor weight and bland, generic tone killed it for me, not to mention the homely spray-paint and plastic aesthetic.

Unfortunately, it was my first fretless, so I didn't have much experience with the instrument's real potential, but it quickly became obvious that the MM wasn't up to snuff. I sold it in short order and bought a used neck-through F bass, which I still own, and, IMO, there's absolutely no comparison.

BassRig89.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There's a vintage 1979 fretless Stingray on Ebay right now... *cough*