Stingray Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eli M., Aug 16, 2004.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I tried out a fretless Stingray 4-string today.
    it had:
    -pau ferro fingerboard
    -low action
    -roundwound strings
    I liked how the bass felt, but it didn't sound fretless enough for me - the sound I am going for is somewhere between electric and upright (I already play both). This bass sounded like a fretted bass as long as I wasn't doing glissandi or anything.
    I'm thinking this was because of the pickup configuration - I wasn't able to get too much variety (this is why I play a Fender Jazz).
    It could possibly be because of the fact that the bass had roundwound strings on it - flatwounds might be the answer.
    Or else, it could be that the action was too low - I've found that when I raise the action on my Jazz bass, it comes a little closer to the sound of an upright.
    Or it might be the fingerboard wood. Or maybe it's just how that bass sounds.

So, what might it be? Could I get this bass to sound the way I want it to? The reason I'm asking is because I don't seem to have that many choices for a fretless - I'm looking for one I can order without lines or dots, and there are only a couple like that (Music Man and G&L are the only two I've come across in my price range). Although I do like Fender, I tried a couple of fretless Jazz basses and didn't like them.