1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eli M., Aug 16, 2004.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I tried out a fretless Stingray 4-string today.
    it had:
    -pau ferro fingerboard
    -low action
    -roundwound strings
    I liked how the bass felt, but it didn't sound fretless enough for me - the sound I am going for is somewhere between electric and upright (I already play both). This bass sounded like a fretted bass as long as I wasn't doing glissandi or anything.
    I'm thinking this was because of the pickup configuration - I wasn't able to get too much variety (this is why I play a Fender Jazz).
    It could possibly be because of the fact that the bass had roundwound strings on it - flatwounds might be the answer.
    Or else, it could be that the action was too low - I've found that when I raise the action on my Jazz bass, it comes a little closer to the sound of an upright.
    Or it might be the fingerboard wood. Or maybe it's just how that bass sounds.

So, what might it be? Could I get this bass to sound the way I want it to? The reason I'm asking is because I don't seem to have that many choices for a fretless - I'm looking for one I can order without lines or dots, and there are only a couple like that (Music Man and G&L are the only two I've come across in my price range). Although I do like Fender, I tried a couple of fretless Jazz basses and didn't like them.

Thanks.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ampeg AUB?