Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray gas driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know what it is, but I have owned a Sterling and a Stingray, both really nice basses, but I sold them both.

I could not get any low end out of the Sterling, especially if I had to use any backline equipment in NYC clubs.

The Stingray was a little better in the low end, but I had trouble with it in a live setting. It did not cut through. Same issue with the Sterling.

Both basses sound great when practicing alone.

Stingray users may think I'm nuts about these basses not cutting through, but that seems to be a common issue with the ones I have owned.

Now, I am gassing for another Stingray. :rolleyes: I got a new Trace Elliot tube head (VA400) that has tamed the zing of my Rick 4003 in a good way, and I am thinking a Stingray would sound awesome through this head.

You would think I have learned my lesson, but Stingrays keep sucking me in.

I think I am going to go for a 2-band EQ, instead of the 3-band. Perhaps the 2-band will thicken the tone up a little bit.

2. Gas.. driving... I get it! :p

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What kind of amp did you use with the Sterling? Mine gets plenty of low end.

But anyyway, Go for it:)

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, I'm gassing hardcore for a Stingray 4. Grab one up dude...and post pics :D.

5. I totally recommend the 2EQ version.

GAS creeps up on you man...I was perusing my local Craigslist in late November and found an early EB (1990) Stingray 4. I told myself I would NOT get a Stingray 4 unless it had a maple neck, natural finish and 2EQ. The dude sent me a .jpg of the bass and lo and behold...

...I picked it up a couple days later.

And not only that, he sold it for $625 AND by some freak coincidence, lived 3 blocks from me.

There was a happy man walking down my neighborhood that early December day :)

but yeah, DEFINITELY get a 2EQ.

6. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The 2EQ is tone and bass? The 3EQ is tone, mids, bass?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

2 EQ is treble and bass. 3 EQ is treble, mids and bass.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I'am gasing for a fretless Stingraay-Pino style.

9. I am in the market for a ray as well. Is there a big diffrence in tone between the 2eq and 3eq. I have never seen a 2eq model anywhere and have only tried the 3eq.

10. 2eq totally rules, I really like it more, cuts more through the mix;) so you could use it I guess

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I guess I'm one of the few who digs the three. Bump up the bass a lot, mids a little and leave the treble flat. Perfect for cutting through three metal guitarists and a hard hitting drummer.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm confused.

I've never heard anyone complain about a 'Ray not cutting through a live mix, quite to the contrary, actually.

I'd never imagine anyone claiming to get more low end out of a Rick 4003 than a Sterling. Plenty of other basses for sure, but a Rick ????? :eyebrow:

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    How about lookin for one better...an early Sabre Bass.
    I was gassin and shopping for a pre-EB Stingray and picked up the Sabre over a week ago. It's got the 2-band, and that second pickup just kicks butt over one pickup!