Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin V, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I've been wanting to buy a stingray for quite some time now, and I recently checked out ernieball.com. They have an option to build your own instrument, and I know almost exactly what specs/colors I want. http://www.ernieball.com/cgi-bin/mmdirect/myinst.pl

Is there anyway to order directly from EB, or do i need to try and find this bass at a retailer?

P.S.- What's the difference between the Piezo and standard EB bridge.

And how much more does the three band eq cost?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Give them a call and they will answer all your questions. Im sure you can order direct from them but a con of doing that is that you cant play it first. I talked to them today and they were very helpful. What I discovered is that once they make a bass and it goes in their records, they will not modify it for you in any way. (I wanted to put a fretless neck on my Ray and they wont do it) Great basses though...

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My guess is that EB will send you to your local dealer.

The piezo's are basically small pickups mounted in the bridge saddles. I don't know what they sound like and even those who have heard them have trouble describing the sound. Basically a little clearer and brighter. Be warned that the stingray is a very bright bass even without the piezo's so yopu probably won't need em.

The 3 band is standard on all current Stingrays. The older ones had 2 band.

You're gonna love this bass!!!!!!!!

4. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    thx, hopefully there will be a thread about a new Ray owner within the next few months.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Perhaps you should have a look at THIS thread. Enought Stingrays here to help you decide what you like.

Happy shopping :)

6. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I've been a dealer for Ernie Ball basses for about 8 years now and you can't order directly from them unless your endorsed, they will refer you to a store that has what your looking for. Also when you do that build your instrument thing on there website it will ask you if you want to see the closest match at different stores. As a store we are required to let them know what we have in at all times. The Piezo bridge is about a $500 up grade and it is designed to give you an Acoustic bass sound, just like on electric guitars were they make it sound like an acoustic guitar. Its really bright but can be very usefull if you play acoustic and then rock or something.