Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Guage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Circus, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Hey everyone, putting some DR Sunbeams on my ray to try em out. I have D'addario, 45-100 on it right now. Rays come with super Slinky's correct? Which are the same guage. I was wondering if it would be worth it to try 45-105 guage strings. I play almost always fingerstyle, sometimes chords, sometimes slap. I use a pick usually only when a cover calls for it, so maybe 2 or 3 songs. I play in a hard rock band, with lots of drop d, but we play lots of bar gigs so we have about 30 covers that are in standard. What would you suggest for a string guage? We have 1 song where I slap on a dropped d, E string, and it doesn't sound the greatest to my ear, not alot of tone. I also noticed some clicking when I play hard, but that could also be my technique. Although, I also like low action (as most people do).

2. A difference in gauge like the one between XL's and Sunbeams, shouldn't mean anything. But remember that Sunbeams are roundcore strings which mean that allthough they're technically thicker they will feel thinner. Maybe you'll need to raise your action a bit. But you won't know untill you try.

Good luck

3. Different brands of strings have different tensions so can affect the setup.

I have Stingray and tried loads of strings, best Nickels for me are Rotosound 100, 80, 65,45 same gauge as Slinkys.

The musicman does flap a bit with drop d tuning and i boost my treble alot so string clatter is there now and again when finger playing.

Stick to the same factory gauge but try Firewire or Rotosound or Elixir Nanoweb and of course Ernie Ball or Fender all come in Musicman gauges.

Mart