Stingray (H or HH) or Fender Active Jazzbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Stingray H, 5 strings

10 vote(s)
  2. Stingray HH, 5 strings

45 vote(s)
  3. Fender Active Deluxe (MIM or MIA) 5 strings

29 vote(s)
  1. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi there,

I'm almost a newbie and I'm goign to buy my first and only (so far) owned bass in the next weeks. I'm completely clueless about the best gear between a MM Stingray H or HH and an Active Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass (MIA or MIM).

I'd play pop/rock and eventually some jazz (not at the beginning though). What would you reccomend ? I like both !

Thanks a lot in advance,
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I hate to say it but out of those three I would have to choose the Fender.

Stingray's are awesome but I think tone wise the Jazz would be best for the music you describe.

My second choice (or first if it would not be my only bass) would be the HH.

3. there all really nice basses but i'm leaning towards the stingrays. but thats not really a far vote cus because i dont like fender jazzes, i think there just ok. i have a stingray H and i love it, but everyones raving about the HH, which i've played and liked as well.

i think they both have to totally different sounds.

your best bet, go to a store and try them out, even if the closes one to you is like an hour away, its worth it to drive and not by the "wrong" bass.

and welcome to TB.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    HH SR5 :) i ordered one, you can too! :)
  5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Not sure about the HH Music Man basses, but by far a Jazz bass will be a ton more versitle than a H Music Man.

Music Man basses sound like, well, Music Man basses, not that it's a bad thing, but you always can tell a Music Man.

Now a Jazz on the other hand can sound completely different with the flip of a knob or such.
  6. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Totally agree, I sold my SR5 in favour of a MIA Deluxe 5 because its so much more versatile.
  7. steve21

steve21 Banned

HH Stingray is my favorite of the bunch, extremely versatile, great tone.

One HELL of a starter bass!

Good luck & welcome to TB
  8. klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    With the HH there are 2 settings (2 and 4 on the pickup switch, if you count from the bridge) that give you single coils from each pickup (2 is the outer coils, 4 is the middle coils). This should give you a decently accurate jazz tone than any other old stingray, plus the 5 way switch with a 3-band EQ gets you some real nice versatility.
    A MIA jazz deluxe would be pretty nice as well. Its up to you
  9. stingray HH, no doubt, i love fenders, but no fender can match a double humbucking stingray in versatility and sound.

you'll probly never need another bass again. damn.
  10. yeah dont get a music man 5 string because the B string is really muddy sounding. If you get a MM, go with a four, they are much better in my opinion. You will still get great MM tone with either of the ones in the pole, but the B string is useless for playing any notes lower than E.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Stingray HH. Owned an American made P-deluxe and quality and sound wise it didn't come close to any of the MM basses I've owned.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats pretty funny, Stingray 5's have one of the best B strings around. Maybe you played one with dead strings.
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In a 5'er I'd have to vote for the HH ray. If it was a 4 string it'd be a closer race, but the low B on a ray5 is just killer.
  14. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, MM's have some of the tightest B's I've ever played.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know I sound redundant, but your choices all involve excellent instruments. They all can get just about any job done. It is simply a matter of what sound you like most. Personally, I would love to own a HH SR5 and MIA Jazz Deluxe V. If I had to choose, it would be for the HH SR5 only because I already have a Skyline 55-02 and a Peavey Foundation with Super Ferrite pups, both of those basses already sound like jazzes to me.
  16. As far as tight B strings,all these basses are 34" scale,They are pretty much the same.If you dont want a floppy B dont use light strings,the heavier gauge the string,the more tension there is when tuned to pitch.IMHO I like the Jazz for its tone versatility but,the MM is also a solid player just a little limited in the tone range IMHO.BTW havent tried a HH so...
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I strongly recommend that you get whichever one *feels* the most comfortable to you... to your hands, specifically.

I'm serious. All of those basses will get great tones IMO. Because you're almost a newbie, let your hands decide. If your hands are happy, then your ears will be happy too. Have fun choosing!
  18. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

Yeah, ultimately I must admit that in this case, this is the only correct answer.

If this is going to be your only bass, you better feel good playing it or you will stop playing it.