1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray H/S - SWEET!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I own a really nice SR5 HH that I really like even though I have had GAS attacks from time to time. As much as I like the bass, I do miss the fact that the bridge pickup soloed does not quite get the classic Stingray tone.

I recently played a SR H/S, and I think that this bass is just what the doctor ordered! The neck single coil does provide more booty, even if it is not as powerful as the HH. THe kicker is that the bridge pup gets the classic Stingray sound to the max! The one I played was a four string, if it were a five I would have seriously been tempted to let my HH go. Now that I have cooled off, I will still keep my HH, especially since I already have a fretless five on the way. What I will say that any TB'er, like Shelly, who is considering a SR5 HH, please check out the SR5 H/S if you can. The SR5 HH gets some killer sounds that definitely have a Stingray feel in positions three and four, but they don't get the original sound with the bridge pup soloed. The tone is 85-90% of the original. The H/S, however, nails the original tone exactly, and offers some booty too.:cool:

2. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I wonder why MM owners are hesitant to mod their axes...me included. We could do so many things with a couple of switches and a little cutting, soldering and drilling :eek: . Well, there's that one guy with the SR4HSS :D .

3. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    IIRC, the SR HH and SR HS have entirely different pickups and electronics than the SR5 HH. I really like the SR HH and if I see the right color will not be able to pass the temptation. I think it's the best sounding production instrument out there.

4. steve21

steve21 Inactive

The SR5HH and the SR4HH have different electronics themselves, don't they?

And the HSS is how they come from the factory... the middle pickup is there to buck hum.

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Yes, they wire things different, i don't know why :confused:
    On two pup basses, the stingray bridge pup is wired in paralell(classic way), and the sterling and sr5 bridge pups are wired in series, so the classic musicman sound can't be achieved :(
    But... just four days ago i rewired the pickups in my HH 5 strings and now i have them in paralell and man... that classic sound is right there, i'm extremely happy with the results :hyper: It's totally worth it if you are looking for that sound on HH and HS sterlings and sr5's.
    IMO of course.

6. Just you wait until I get my Sterling from BC if you want to see a modded MM!!! :) :) :)
    I've been dying to get this project underway. First Order of business, rout for a neck position pickup. I know I'm going to get flamed for not getting a HS Sterling, but I don't like the HS configuration in MM's... so i'm modding my own. :)

I have a lot of plans... and I may have to end up getting a second Sterling to make some of the mods possible.

7. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    I played a Musicman SR5 HS and it was cool. I really liked the sound but I much prefer the sound of the HH. I like the fact that it's versatile and I can dial up just about any sound that I want and as far as having the original MM sound, I'm okay without having that since I've never really been a Musicman fan until they came out with the two pups.

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I still think a Musicman HS is the best option on two pups Ernie Balls.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The magnets are also different on the fours and fivers.

IIRC, the magnets on the 5ers are ceramic, while the fours have Alnico magnets. That could be some of the difference there.

It's going to be a hard decision on whether or not to mod my special order Dargie SR5 HH when it comes in February. :meh:

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The SR5 HS will sound exactly the same as the SR5 HH on the bridge pickup -- neither can nail the classic Stingray tone. ALL of the SR5s (and sterlings) have ceramic pickups; all of the SR4s have alnico pickups. bottom line: only a SR4 H, HH, HS, will get the classic stingray tone.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the fact that the SR5 single pup allow for series parallel and single coil, lets it closer to the original tone than the HH which cannot do those things in bridge pup mode.

12. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    As i said before... once i modded my SR5 HH i can get the classic sound of the single pup SR5 in paralell, but still have the sound of the other 4 positions, which makes it more versatile IMO.

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    All that had to be cut was the pickguard...

They ship as HSS; but the middle single-coil is beneath the pickguard (to eliminate 60th cycle hum).

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a single pup SR5 and have no desire really for another pickup. The sound of the SR5 in parrallel with the eq dead flat is just so damm good and cuts through my loud guitarist's wall of distortion so well that it leaves me wanting nothing more!

Like many Stingray owners though, I am starting to realize after having my dream bass for almost a year that I want another one! I have extreme gas for an SR4 fretless! Sorry to get off track, I just love my Ray and take any opportunity to rave about it!

15. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I haven't tried a Stingray HS, but I just traded my Sterling H for a Sterling HS. I loved the Sterling H. But the Sterling HS has so much more capability. I like the center position with the H and S pickups working.

The phantom coil is really great too. I don't miss the hum from my previous Corvettes, J & P Basses a bit. I play right under a ceiling fan and their is absolutely no hum.

16. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Why not just a push/pull series/parallel mod? Can't be too hard, then you can get S/P on ALL modes?

17. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Hmmm...that would be sweet.