1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray H vs. Sterling H

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasper383, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Stingray H

63 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Sterling H

42 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Carrots

26 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Which one, and why?

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    stingrays necks too big for me

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Sterlings are for girls. Just ask Figjam.

4. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    i like rays better

5. I like both.

6. TMJ

TMJ

Aug 24, 2007
    Sting Rays.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I like the punch of the Stingray better.

8. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I thought the shape of the sterlings neck was very awkward feeling

I say ray

9. I just bought a sterling today. The smaller body is comfortable for me because I'm not a big dude. I also like the neck; the Stingray neck is too fat for me.

10. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    I havent played either, but been GASsing for a while on a Music Man. So far my research has concluded that Sting Rays have more punch yet tend to be more laid back, while Sterlings are a bit more aggressive & a tiny bit more versatile. Can cut thru the mix really well. Also have smaller body, so that might help too. But they only come in 4 string model (yet).

I'd get the Sterling H given the choice. Liked the samples too.

11. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    The Sterling neck is just to small and narrow for my liking. Plus I prefer the Stingray pickups a tiny bit more, but I can't tell that much of a difference.

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Prefer the ray. They should've just offered it with a thin neck option like they did in the 70's.

13. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Tried a bunch of MM's before I bought mine. Stingrays sounded great, Sterling sounded even better.

The ray has a kind of mid-centered tone that sounds slightly "hollow" like a P-bass. You can shape it with the onboard EQ of course, but that was the basic sound.

I ended up with a Sterling HS. It has more bottom, more high end, and way more variety of tones than the Stingray. Also, as a previous poster pointed out, tone is definitely more aggressive, and to my ears, punchier too.

The neck is great, but I actually prefer the wider fretboard of the ray, unfortunately you can't swap them like you can on Fenders.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Stingray too, and will probably end up getting one. To me these basses are very much like the Fender Precision (Stingray) and Jazz (Sterling)...they have a lot in common, but also distinctly different personalities.

I love my HS because it can do tight punchy finger funk, nasty slap, or hard edged pickstyle rock by just flipping the coil switch...all of which I use in the course of gigging.

And it sounds freakin' AWESOME for all of them.

You hang this thing around a girl's neck and she's likely to grow a set of turtle eggs :)

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Stingray. I love my SR5. Love everything about it, the tone, looks, and playability.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    StiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingRay!

16. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    the sterlings more aggressive sounding. between that and the downsized body and the neck its my fav.

my opinion FWIW is that this decision hinges upon which neck you prefer

17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I vote Sterling; the necks are awesome and the tone is delicious! :)

18. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    nice fat neck on the ray + more chrome = mo' betta.

although the phantom coil option of the sterling does sound tempting... I'll just wait and shell out for a stingray hh though.

19. I like the 'Ray neck, and the Sterling electronics.
    I bought an SR5/HH.

20. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    I played both.. Sterling has better neck and an extra fret.
    Ray has fatter neck which I don't like but the overall feel and tone are better and I like bigger body. so I voted ray..