Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Jul 1, 2001.

1. I've always played MIA Precisions, but for some reason I got it into my head that my life would be complete if only I owned a Stingray. So I sold my P and bought a 2000 'Ray. Big mistake. With no EQ the D and G strings sound very thin and harsh and nothing I do seems to make any difference. Playing with a band they just disapear into the mix.
    To make matters worse I can't even sell the damn thing. One guy who came to see it said he didn't think it sounded as fat as other 'Rays.
    So is it just a question of EQing it right and has anyone got any suggestions.
    I've also heard it said many times that Fender quality can be very variable. But surely not Musicman. The build quality is absolutely superb. Could it be the wood used?

Incidentally I've bought a MIJ Jazz and it sounds awesome, and is the only bass I now use, and I'll be getting a MIA when I can afford it.

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I'm not to familiar with Stingrays but I can think of two inexpensive solutions that may save your bass.

1. go to juststrings.com and get a set of good quality strings of your preference to put on it.
    this may help with the thinness issue.

2. SD/Basslines or Bartolini replacement pickup is supposed to breath new life into any Stingray, I think I read some posts already of how it cures thin sound with the low gauge strings (hmm...ok I just wanted to avoid writting G string).

3. Yes, I agree about the p/u. I wondered if there was a slightly less expensive route to take first.

I find it a bit irksome that these companies like Fender & Musicman still don't seem to be able to produce p/ups to the standard of S/D or EMG. How difficult can it be. Or maybe they're just shaving dollars.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    the answer is in the body of the question-

dollar shaving is what it's all about.

the pickups manufacturers would love to have a contract with Fender/MM/-put your favorite firm here- because they will sell a few hundred if not thousnds of pickups each month to the big guitar makers.
    but the prob is that for them big manufacturers it's more cost affective to esablish their own pickup division and mass produce their own pickups for their instruments. and remember, the big guys ain't doing it for fun, they are doing it for the money, if fun was a cosideration they wouldn't have let machines produce their instrument and they wouldn't offer far east lower end models.

I personally hate the Fender attitude of "we make everything", I mean their bridges suck, their pickups too and their strings....better stir away from these.

only the tuners are not fender.

anyway, I respect more small manufacturers who prefer to purchase parts from companies that are specifically focused on doing hardware, pick ups etc. I belive that way the costumer gets better components in his bass and doesn't have to put extra cash in his already expensive instrument.

with that said, I'm going to look now for replacement pickups for my Warwick :)

5. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    Unless theres a prob. with that unique bass.....this is what I would do.

I used to have one before I got a Sterling....and I mis my SR everyday!!

1.Set all EQ in the very middle
    2.Turn Highs and Lows up all the way
    3.barely turn mid up......very little off center.
    4.make sure you have a good EQ on amp(not just a smily face)
    5.If there's a prob.with the bass itself call Ernie Ball Music Man!

If it's two band just turn it wide open!