1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stingray HH 4 VS warwick double buck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigbadbuck, Aug 26, 2007.

1. bigbadbuck

bigbadbuck

Jun 28, 2005
    southwest iowa
    hey guys i have tried both of these basses and just cant decide theres things that i love about both but i need to pick one to buy so give me your opinions.

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    id lean twords the warwick, just more my style. but if i were you id go witht he streemer db, a little thicker sounding IMO

3. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    warwick. Its way more comfortable to play cause its smaller, it has that warwick growl that your not going to get from the Ray. Warwick's are made so well. and the $$ is such a fantastic bass.

yea i agree abiout the Streamer. that thing plays like it ws made my god.

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    from limited playing time, i really liked the sound of the Warwick, super growly.

5. Totally different animals. Pick the one you think feels and sounds the best. Personally, I like Warwick.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    You gotta play em yourself and make a decision. The Warwick fans will tell ya Warwick, and the MM fans will tell you MM.

To me, of course, the double buck doesn't compare to the Stingray. Sounds more sterile and I can never seem to get a tone out of it that really makes me wanna sit there all day and, well, play it. :) I'm an ex-warwick owner so I have some experience. Didn't own a $$, but had a really nice active corvette. What I like much more about the Stingray (HS) is...

You can get the time tested Stingray sound, duh, that you can only really get out of a Stingray. You can get CRAPLOADS of other sounds out of it too. It cuts through the mix way better than my Corvette did. The neck is a lot more to my liking, my wrist used to hurt after playing the Warwick. It's lighter. I like the way it looks more. One of the things I like best about MM though is the fact that the company still after all these years and all their success, still seems real grass roots and down to earth. Sterling Ball is a totally accessible person, they have forum get togethers every year, anyone can go to NAMM and talk to him, he's active in the forum - and he's a genuinely (from what I know) nice guy. He and the rest of the company seem a lot more concerned about making instruments that kick complete butt and people want to play, than making a fortune selling them. They take a lot of pride in what they do.

Warwick, on the other hand has disappointed me since the time I bought mine (mid 90s). They started mass producing instruments (with lower quality IMO) and raising their prices ridiculously. The basses don't feel the same as they used to and for me have lost a certain magic I believe they once had.

Bla, bla, bla... I ain't bashing Warwick. Their basses are good, but they aren't Musicmans. :) I choose the Stingray.

7. As a rule, SR players rarely like Warwicks and visa versa. To me a Warwick feels like a log with the bark left one it. But I play SR5's just about exclusively these days. YOU have got to be the one to decide and I doubt if any of us can be of much help.

8. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I prefer SR, not to fond of the Warwick baseball-bat necks.

9. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Wow, my 2 favorite basses are Corvettes and Stingrays. Does that make a rebel?:D

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Have played and owned several Warwicks (including 3 Corvettes) and 3 MM Stingrays (including a MM SR HH4) and personally prefer the Stingray.
    I`ve been pretty satisfied with the variety of sound you can achieve with it, from Pbass like to classic Stingray tone and many more. I also think its preamp is much better than Warwicks`.

Just my 0.02

11. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Maybe it had dead strings, but I played a Double Buck in Sam Ash and it didn't sound good at all. IIRC it only had a 2 band EQ as well.

12. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    my hands dont agree w/ the necks of the warwicks ive played & i put a huge consideration on how comfy a neck is to me.

if you feel comfy on both and like the sound of both you might wanna get one used then look to get a used version of the other.

13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I believe Russo's in Omaha has both. If you are in SW IA it's worth the drive and play them to see what sounds good to you.

Edit:

Nevermind, Ottumwa it's on the SE part of the state, you may want to double check your compass.

14. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I played a Warwick double buck last night and it really surprised me. It was easy to play and I loved the tone! I haven't played the Stingray so I can't help you there.

Cheers,
    Jim

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Just a general comment about the two pickup Musicmans: btw, I am a big Musicman fan. One of the things that really bugs me about them is that the neck pickup pole pieces don't ever seem to line up with the strings. The pickup is simply too wide, and the E and G strings are never centered over the pole pieces. EB should have done a more narrow spacing for the neck pickup like a Jazz bass has. I know it doesn't really effect the sound, but neither does a poor paint job, and I don't like that either.

16. neither!get a MM Sterling! Just kidding, I played a really nice sterling yesterday and am scrambling to be abl to buy it somehow. I think both Warwicks and EBMM's are great basses but would lean towards the Ray for above mentioned reasons; right on company and versatility of the Ray's sounds.
    I bought a fretless ray 5 last year and I am still enthralled by its build quality. The newer ones even have a compensated nut!
    Warwick seems to be going down the toilet. I have always been interested in their unorthodox materials and designs. But ever since they started flooding the market with all kinds of so-so bass related products (strings, tuners, amps, straps, stands, drum cases?) I have started to wonder what is going on corporate-wise. Did they get bought out Tobias style?

And er...Ray not have growl? Have you played a Stingray ever? They most certainly do growl bark and even purr.

17. wardak

wardak

Dec 3, 2001
    Honolulu HI
    I've had 2 SR5's, one a piezo and the other an HH. Awesome instruments, but unfortunately neither has been exactly what I hear in my head or as I imagined feeling like in my hands. Just a little off for me, and when I get away from the SR for a while and come back, I feel like I need to reaqaint to it.

On the other hand, just tried a Double Buck at the local GC, and I think I'm about to part with the SR5 for it. I'll sleep on it, but I think I'm sold. More urgent was the fact they had two of them, the one on the lower rack was beat up several ways and the other hanging high up was pristine.

I can definitely see where folks are coming from with both these brands, but they are not the same at all. I cannot really picture being exactly 50/50 torn between them, unless you have multiple purposes...and perhaps need one of each?!

18. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    i actually had the same choice to make 4 months ago... i chose the Warwick. Though i do love the MM, it's a one-trick pony.... a very amazing trick, but still, just one. I found the warwick to be more comfortable, but i don't recommend it for pick style playing, because there's just no room without scratching up the pickups. Strings seem to die faster on the warwick as well, but it may just be my preference in string size and style.

19. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    A bass that can go from slap, to funk, to rock, to metal isn't a one trick pony in my books. :meh:

I've played a Warwick $$, and I was severely disappointed, I was expecting it to sound really versatile and thick with those two humbuckers, but it didn't. It sounded thin, sterile and crappy. Even the switches and onboard EQ couldn't change that. Plus the neck is like a freaking baseball bat.

I like Warwick tone, just not the $$ tone, it sounds crap. I got myself a Stingray H instead, couldn't be any happier, EBMM really do have the best quality customer service around, as Joe Nerve pointed out. You can even sign up on the forums and they will tell you the exact day your bass was assembled!

My only regret about buying a Stingray, is that now I want more... moreeee... MOREEEEE... :ninja:

20. "My only regret about buying a Stingray, is that now I want more... moreeee... MOREEEEE.."

I'm in the same boat. I am trying to convince myslef that I need to get a car. just one car so I actually have a car! Before I get another stingray.
    But part of my brain keeps scheming to get another Ray. Looking for that 20th anny 5 string or one of those ltd edition blue dawns.