1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray HH neck pickup. Should it stay or should it go? Or shuffle along a bit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. stoo

stoo

Nov 10, 2003
    Hiya - I'm a fairly talent free player with a pair of OLP rays - both are the twin pup active versions, one 4 and one 5. MM22 and MM23, IIRC

On both of em I find that the neck pickup kinda gets in the way of the path of my fingers when I (try to) play more slap'n'pluck style.

I've dropped the neck pickup as low as it will go, and it's helped improve my playing and confidence loads.... but the ouput levels of the two pickups are now hugely different, and so the neck pickup now gets no use at all.

So I either need to sort out my technique... or just get the neck pickup moved towards the bridge some to give better clearance. Any glaringly obvious downsides with that plan?

I did think about just removing the neck pickup altogether for a more classic 'Ray look, but it seems a shame to do that if I could still use it in the mid position to allow for some alternatives to the super-bright SR bridge pup sounds.....

What do ya reckon? Is a neck pickup generally considered to be a bit inconvenient for slap stuff, or am I just being a poorly co-ordinated cretin that can't work out how to steer my fingers around a small black blob that doesn't move?

Any advice gratefully recieved (Well, apart from "Give up now, ya hopeless tosser!", I suppose... :p )

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the technique or setup or luthier forum, so forgive me for dumping it in BG general to save reposting it in all of them. :oops:

2. Ive heard that as one of the only (well, the only) problem with the HH models, that the neck pup gets in the way for slapping. Im not much of a slap kind of guy, but can pull it off without it causing me any problems, but im probably doing it wrong :p

If you dont use the pickup, and its causing you problems, maybe it is worth dropping an origianl single H pickguard on the bass and remove the neck pup

3. stoo

stoo

Nov 10, 2003
    Cheers - good to know that it's a known "problem" with em and not just my technique being completely hopeless and me flailing around my fingers too much.

Can't see the point in removing the pickup completely though - seeing as I've already got it, and it and the switch are both wired up.... and I'd have to replace the pickguard anyway... may as well get the body routed out to allow a middle pup position..... no?

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    +1

5. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    If your technique is the problem, try raising it slowly, a few mm a week.

You'll surely get used to it