1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray HH VS. Stingray H

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmyjames77, Apr 11, 2009.

1. jimmyjames77

jimmyjames77 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Hey guys. I've tried to search the forum for opinions on the Stingray and how the one p'up version compares to the two p'up version. Personally I don't see how the simple fact that it has two p'ups would change the inherent "stingray" tone when in the back position. I've heard people say that the two p'up versions just don't have the same tone as the stingrays with a single p'up even in the single rear p'up position. I'm thinking these guys are just forgetting that all basses, no matter if they are the exact same line, will sound different from on another.
    Can I get some real opinions from people that have actually owned or played, for a good amount of time, both versions of the stingray? The HH version or the HS.:)

2. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I own both an H and an HH. I have bench tested this extensively, and can honestly say there is no real difference between the two when the HH's switch is in the back position. Obviously, I'm comparing two 3-band eq instruments- I do think there is a big difference between the 2- and 3-band preamps, so if someone is comparing an HH ray to a 2-band single H, there will be a difference. All in all, they are both great- the HH has a lot of flexibility, but the H just has the looks that kill.

3. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I have a Sterling HS and it definitely can get every sound that a Sterling H can get (plus a lot more). I especially like the single coil in the front position as it lets me get a J-Bass sort of sound (still with a Musicman quality).

The downside to a HH or HS in my view is not that you lose sound quality (I think that's nonsense). The downside is that you lose the wide open unobstructed space between the bridge pickup and the neck. If you do a lot of pop and slap you'll notice that the space is filled up and that you have to work around the front pickup.

When I first got my HS I had to lower the front pickup down to the lowest position until I got used to it. Eventually I did get used to it and I don't think about it anymore.

4. The HH in bridge position sounds the exact same as the single H.

The only problem, as mentioned, is if you slap of if you need the space where the neck pickup is.

I've got two HH's (fretted and fretless). Great basses with amazing tones. And all 5 combinations using the selector switch are very useful!

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    On the HH models,with the neck or bridge pickup soloed,the pickup is wired in series,as opposed to the traditional parallel wiring on a Stingray. I own single H and HH model Sterling,and prefer the single H in parallel.Series gives a bit more of a low/mid bump.

6. mako

mako

Apr 4, 2007
    istanbul
    i played HH and H bongo. i think HH gives and incredible flexibility on tone controls i guess you can get any tone that you wanna get with an HH musicman but i bought an single pick-up bass instead. i didnt think that HH bass has a tone character (in my opinion) its like a tone tank

7. perfectarc

perfectarc

Dec 28, 2007
    I agree that I found a sound difference between the Sterling H and HH. I A/B'ed them extensively before ordering the H. What I heard was the single H sounded more gutsy, "in your face", 'growly". The HH could get close to that but it seemed like I had to do more fiddling with tone and play with more attack. Definite difference though, on the models I played at GC.

8. Dennis098

Dennis098

May 3, 2008
    Virginia
    sometimes I feel like differences at GC could be due to old batteries.
    Theres an old stingray HH that's been sittin at my GC for a year or two that sounds so anemic always cause its low on battery

9. The answer to that is bring your own battery and use the same one in any active bass you try.

I have to say I've always wondered what my 'ray would be capable of if it had 2 humbuckers rather than 1, but I keep reminding myself that the sound it has already is perfect for my needs and for me is very easy to modify with outboard equipment.

10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I've always thought the single H in parallel is the best all around tone for any MM instrument.All single H Stingrays are wired parallel,but don't have the switching options the Sterling H has. The parallel setting has more bite and definition than series.

11. jimmyjames77

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Now could that have been due to them being different basses or is it the wiring?

12. Theres that difference (or vice versa) in the sterlings, but not in the stingrays as far as I'm aware.

13. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I've had a bunch of Stingrays in H and HH configs and own pretty much every combo the Sterling comes in (I'm a sterling nut)... and in my experience the H and HH sr4 sound the same... exactly the same.

The Sterling is another issue tho. The 2 PUP Sterlings do not cover all the pup switch positions a single H Sterling has... so there's tradeoffs with the Sterling but NOT the SR4. The HH Sterling doesnt have a single coil on bridge pup position and neither the HH or HS have a bridge pup in parallel setting. but bridge pup in series on H, HH and HS sound the same to me.

on the sr4 the HH and HS can do exactly what the single H does and more

14. Just looked up the HH schematic. All settings are parallel.

Tho you are right with the sterling, it is changed from series to parallel (or vice versa).

http://www.music-man.com/pdf/Stingray.zip

15. jimmyjames77

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Why would EB do that? I mean the not give the Sterlings the ability to sound like "sterlings"?

16. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    series is the Sterling sound and as such the HH & HS sterlings are in series. the HS and HH Sterlings do not have a parallel setting.

Stingrays HH, HS, H -> parallel
    Sterling H -> series, parallel or single coil
    Sterling HH, HS -> series (except for position 2 on HS which is a single coil from bridge pup)

17. I might be wrong, but isn't the bridge pup on the HH version NOT in the sweet spot and rather a bit farther back than the H? That is how it is with G&L's.

18. Same position I believe. Don't see why they would need to move it, plenty of room between the pups.

19. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    that's the Bongo. the 2 pup Bongo's have their bridge pup shifted away fom the sweet spot.

on the HS/HH Stringrays and Sterlings the bridge up IS in the same place as it is on the single h. Same goes for their 5 string counterparts

20. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    +1.
    I`ve owned both (still keep the single H SR) and the difference is hard to identify.

I understand that traditionally people tend to prefer the single H version versus the HH, but it delivers a wider tonal variety (although I only liked 3 of the 5 switch positions)