1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray HS vs HH pickup position question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Jun 30, 2007.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    All,

Is the single coil neck pickup of the Stingray HS closer to the bridge than the neck humbucker of the HH ?

What I want to understand is whether there's more space between the neck and the pickup on the HS vs the HH. The neck humbucker of the HH sometimes get in the way when slapping and I'm looking for more comfort.

Thanks, Paolo

2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Old thread Bump

My question is that between the two HS and HH which has the most versatile sound

3. I have two HS basses (Ray 5 HS and Sterling 5 HS) and one HH bass (Ray 4 HH).

All of them have their own tone. Even the Ray 5 bridge H and the Ray 4 bridge H sound different even though they are both alnico pups.

Id say for a more 'Fender' type blend of Musicman punch and aggression, try the HS. If you want full on Musicman tone, get the HH.

Its almost like the HS can be a little sweeter and 'vintage', whereas the HH sound a little thicker. This is when we are talking pup selections that involve the extra H or S.

Im currently deciding whether to go HH or HS for my Bongo.

The BEST parts of the HS for me are:

Single coil (neck) on its own for a more vintage bluesy type warmth...lots of clarity.
    Single coil (bridge) on its own for Jaco-type bite

The BEST parts of the HH for me are:

Both outer coils of each HH...like a Jazz/Ricky type blend with Musicman DNA
    Neck H on its own with the treble cut...this can almost get into a smooth doublebass like tone if you play near the neck

All of them are great if im honest.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021