Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Ideas

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SoyBase, Feb 21, 2003.

1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay, so I've been playing my Ray 5 quite a bit lately. I've also been playing my Warwick Streamer Jazzman a lot as well..Now I love the feel of the ray, and love the tonal ability of the Jazzman...

I know its been done before, but I'd like a review, link, etc on someone who's done it.

An SR5 with a new route for a Jazz neck pickup...Using the SD MM replacement Pre with the 3 way switch being full back parallel rear pickup, middle MM/J, forward J only.

Im thinking I could switch from the classic Stingray tone to a more modern tone by the flip of the switch..plus, If I ever want to get rid of the bass, All i'll need to do is replace the pickguard with a new one...

Whats the overall concensus on this idea?

Tommy

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    don't do it

3. do it but tell the person ur selling it to if u decied to.

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Of course I'd sell it with the knowledge of the routing...

I just ordered a SD Alnico MM5 pickup for it so this may totally change my view on the idea...

Tommy

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Tommy do us a favour and record a before/after type thing, please, pretty please. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in an AB test.

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    An A/B of the alnico versus stock?

Tommy

Oh, if anyone is looking for an SD Alnico MM5, I know where you can get one thats already in stock for $79 shipped..PM me if interested...

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you getting the SD pre too?

I got the Alnico MM4 pickup and SD pre for my 1990 Stingray 4 installed about 5 months ago. I don't have any before/after clips, so only have subjective memory to go on.

But, IMO, the sound is much warmer after the change. Bottom end was better defined, and the slap/contour pull is really useful. I don't use it mid song, but it's nice to dial in those cut/boosts with a switch pull.

8. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Actually, I've had the MM replacement 3 band Pre in the bass for about a year and its very nice..I play with EQ pretty flat, but if i need subtle change, this one does it...With the stock pickup, the sound didnt dramatically change..just a little smoother high end and nice warm lows...SD said that for my style of music, the Alnico was the way to go..

Im looking at doing the same pre in my SR4 with the Alnico 4 thats been sitting in my desk drawer for a while..

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK

Yep AB alnico v stock and if theres a significant improvement,I'll PM ya. Heck I'll do it anyway...

10. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay, so I got the new pickup in last night...couldnt make an A/B sound file..sorry CS, my buddy needed to use his 4-track at the same time..

Okay, first off, the Alnico pickup sounds 10 times better than stock...The stock pickup has a little bit "tinny" sounding highs and barky mids...The Alnico seems to smooth that all out. The lows are nice and smooth and the highs are clear, but not raspy. They arent kidding when they say its meant to reproduce the sound of the old 70's Rays. It still retains the growl the Rays are known for. I still have a little tweaking to do with pickup height and oh yeah, I forgot to ground the bridge, but so far I'm extrememly happy.

The best way I can describe the new sound is to listen to Fugazi's first album, preferably "Suggestion"...Thats the sound...

I'll post another update this evening when I get some tweaking done.

Thanks
    Tommy

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's pretty much my exact experience with this upgrade. My 1990 ray sounded much warmer, while keeping that distinctive cutting ray sound. I found myself using the ray much more after the upgrade.

12. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ahh, I have a 90 Ray 4 that I have the Alnico pickup waiting to go in...Did you swap the pre as well? Mine sounds weak compared to most 4's around..After years of use, maybe something is just fading out or something. Is it possible for a pickup to lose its magnetivity? (if thats even a word)

Im hoping the Ray 5 gets more play time now as well. I love the feel of the bass, but the tone was lacking..before now..Looks like I'm not going to try the pickup idea after all..

Tommy

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Tommy thanks for the link and the review. Got some thinking to do now.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, SD Alnico pickup and the SD pre. Did them both at once.