Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray info needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syciprider, Jul 8, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Okay guys, here's the dealio. I spied two new 'rays in a shop. They're in that reddish orangish finish with pearloid PGs. One is $780 and the other is $850. I am sure they are 'rays and not SUBs. My Q is, what's going on here? Is there a "value line" of Stingrays that I don't know about or are these the real things albeit marked down? I am seriously GAS sing here. :help:

2. one may have a piezo pickup

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I didn't test drive them (I didn't want to bother the guys since I wasn't buying) but they have the same number of knobs. It is a very low price. I mean, I'd try an MM for that money :bassist:

4. That does sound like a too-good-to-be-true price for a new 'Ray.

Could that have been the price w/out the case?

The lowest asking price I ever saw for a new Stingray in a shop was $875, and that was without a case. Blue w/maple board.

Mike

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I've never seen an MM case but I suppose it won't add that much to the cost of the bass?

I mean, I am sure that for a collector it makes a bass worth that much more but I am assuming that recent production MMs are not like Fenders in desirability from a collector POV.

I can't wait for my wife to get home. Maybe I should call her? Nah, then she won't see the puppy eyes when I beg :bawl:

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    maybe they are a demo basses,but the price is too good if they are in good condition.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    That would be a truly killer price for a Ray in a shop new. Someone please correct me on this if i'm wrong, but doesn't GC on occasion blow out/mark down StingRays at around that price?

Ask the wife, and then if she approves, GO FOR IT! :bassist:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Older floor models perhaps?

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Some people on the forums here said GC was blowing out last year's MM basses to clear space for the 2005 models that are about to come in.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks-that's what i was thinking of. :)

That's all

11. My GC was blowing out slow moving colors for awhile. They said they're getting a new batch of colors in soon.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I can understand that. The place where i ordered my bass-they had the bass that i modeled mine after there a few months after mine came in. I placed the order Dec. 26, and i think the bass [identical to mine except w/a rosewood board] was still there in April/May. It's shame to see such a good bass hanging on the wall for so long-if i had the coin, i'd pick it up too.

That's all