Stingray maple neck stain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toms, Sep 15, 2000.

1. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    I purchased a new maple neck Stingray 5 three months ago. I changed the strings last night and noticed some staining(darkening)on the fret board between the strings and slightly on the back of the neck. I always was my hands before playing, and I up to this point I've used Fast fret before and after playing. This is my first bass without a "sealed neck", all of my Fenders have sealed necks. My question, Is this normal? Is it the Fast Fret? What could I use to clean it?
    BTW, this is one great sounding bass!
  2. Toms,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    What you have there is a worn finish.
    First take your strings and neck off.
    Clean the entire neck with a warm damp towel.
    Take special care not to damage the Decals on the headstock.
    Musicman uses Birchwood / Casey wood treatments.
    Next, Degrease the neck with Naptha. Inspect for staining scratches etc.
    If found sand lightly with 1000 grit sandpaper.
    Re-clean with Naptha.
    Follow the label instructions.
    Use Tru-Oil Gunstock Finish first then follow with Gun Stock Wax to seal it off.
    You will need to do this ever so often to keep it looking /feeling good.
    Good luck.
  3. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    Thanks for your reply. It sounds as if you've done this before. Looks like a little more work than I expected, however if it will remove the stains and give me that "smooth as a baby's butt" feel it had when I brought it home, I'll do it.Due to the amount of work involved, I think I'll wait until I start noticing a degradation in the "feel" and the look. Does MusicMan have any published information regarding this procedure? Can't find any on their web site.

Thanks Again

4. toms,
    Regarding Musicman published procedures. No, they don't have anything.
    It was a while back when I did my neck. I remember calling them for the product information.
    What you should do is go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look in the wood finishes section. It should give you all the info you need. It's quite easy to do.....after all I did it.
  5. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    It was the sanding part that I was worried about. But if I don't have any scars, I won't have to sand. The other parts of the project seem simple. What worries me is this bass is only two or three months old, and I don't want to do anything to screw up the feel of the neck. My guess is the Fast Fret is/was a source of the problem, Never had a problem on my Fenders because they are sealed. A little staining on the fret board isn't a big problem,however if it gets worst, I try the cleaning you described. Will let you know how it turns out.

If it ain't been dropped, run over by a truck, ain't a Fender...yet!
  6. toms,
    You are correct. Only sand with fine grits if the wood is stained or dirty and the cleaning does not remove it.
    Good luck, Let me know how you do.