1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray neck on P bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Dec 6, 2018.

1. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I have a warmoth PJ body all setup and ready for a neck. And I came across a good looking 89 Stingray Fretless. But will it fit? And will the intonation be a mess?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    As long as the heel fits into the pocket, sure it'll fit; a Fender 4 string neck is 2.5 inches wide. your scale length might be longer but since there are no frets that's not a big deal. I think you scale length will be ~34.5". A Fender 34" 20 fret neck is 23 13/16 long (nut to end). Measure the length of the Stingray neck, add the difference in neck lengths of the two necks + 34 and you have your new scale length. Intonation shouldn't be an issue either, as long as you have some real adjustment on the bridge.

I'm assuming an unlined fretless w/o side markers. If the neck has either they wiil be located incorrectly. The pickup position relative to scale length will change slightly, but I doubt the difference will be audible, I think the percentage of change will be about 1.5% (what's 1.5% of a half inch?), slightly warmer, but if audible, can be compensated with more compliant strings, higher pot value, and/or a lower cap value.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010

Good call on the intonation not being an issue considering it’s a Fretless. I hadn’t thought about that aspect before.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I’ve done some builds and neck swaps..not a pro by any means. My instincts tell me right out the gate this isn’t a good idea.