Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Neck - Original or Graphite?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diabolik, Jul 24, 2004.

1. diabolik

diabolik

Jul 20, 2004
    The maple neck on my '94 Stingray is toast. It just kept bowing and at the last setup, my luthier had to put it in a vice, pull it straight and max out the truss rod.

It is now starting to bow again. In hindsight, the neck has been bad since I purchased the bass new in 1994.

I now have to replace the neck, but I have a dilemma. I have spoken to our local Ernie Ball representative and after three weeks, they came back to me with a price that is pretty much exactly the same as buying a Status Graphite replacement. They also want the old neck back.

Should I stick with original, or go with a Status?

2. I'd say go Original.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Tough call. If you absolutely love the sound of graphite and you never intend to sell your 'Ray, I'd go with the Status. Otherwise, I'd go original.

Or it may even be cheaper to check w/Warmoth, if you don't mind not having a 'Musicman' logo on your neck.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd go graphite, personally.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Man - call EB and talk to them. They have the greatest customer service in the industry! They'll take care of you and help you get what you need.

To answer your question: Go original. I've played a SR with a graphite neck. The graphite in combo with the MM pups and electronics is so harsh and brittle sounding - that's not a good thing either. It ruins the bass IMHO.

Check out:
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/index.php?

This will help with contacting EB/getting help.

Good luck

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    This is very true. I've had a few dealings with their customer services department, and I think they're the best in the business. Really friendly, super fast, and very keen to fix whatever the problem is.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA

I would agree that if there's EVER been a pickup/electronics configuration that should NOT be graphite....it's the Stingray. Pure tone hell...IMHO.

8. As far as I know Warmoth doesn't offer replacement necks for MM basses...

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    ...what he said :D

10. diabolik

diabolik

Jul 20, 2004
    Thanks for the advice people. I agree that EB has fantastic customer service. I e-mailed them a couple of times about the problem and they gave suggestions on how to stop it happening. (re-seal the neck etc). The replies were always fast too.

Even after trying their suggestions, the neck kept bowing until it reached the state it is in now. That is when EB referred me to the local distributor.

I have only ever asked for 2 things from our local distributor. One was to get a price on the new neck, which took 3 weeks and 2 follow up e-mails from me. The other was just after I bought the Stingray, I could not use the string mutes, they were locked tight. The shop I bought it off told me to call the importer and when I called them, I was told something like "nobody uses them anyway, you should just palm-mute instead".

Stingrays retail here (New Zealand) for approx $2,500US. The new neck will cost approx $550US.

If the importer's service was as good as EB, I would have gone original in a flash, I am just nervous that I'll be on my own if the new neck starts to warp after the one year warranty expires. I have read of a few people that have had this problem with their Stingray too.

That said, after hearing the suggestions you've given about the change of tone, I am now leaning towards an Ernie Ball neck.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Stingrays have MUTES?! :eek: Forgive me for my ignorance, I've only ever had the opportunity to play one once.

Also, to be honest, I was voting graphite for stability. After hearing everyone else's comments about the awful tone, I'll change my vote to original.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I don't remember exactly when they quit coming with the mutes. I could be wrong, but i know when MusicMan was pre-ernieball, they had the mutes and don't know exactly what year the mutes were removed. i'm sure someone will chime in with the correct info. :)

edit: original post-i'd go original for sound reasons.

13. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    You could also check out Moses for a cheaper graphite neck.
    Also, the Status neck is the same neck they used for the NAMM anniversary basses, so I would think it should sound pretty good on a Stingray.

14. diabolik

diabolik

Jul 20, 2004
    Ernie Ball phased out the string mutes between 1993 & 1994. My bass was purchased in late November 1994, so it must of been one of the last to get them.

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If it was me paying for and playing it, the Status, no question.

Based on my experience with Status basses, and especially in dealing with Rob Green, I'd have no hesitation in spending my money there again.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds good. Got any pics of 'em?

17. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    I highly recommend Moses necks. I've never tried one with the Stingray pickups and electronics, but I got nothing but compliments when I replaced the neck on my Jazz with a Moses.

Once again, I've never tried Moses with the Stingray, but not all graphite sounds the same. To me, Moses sounds "warmer" than Status or Modulus, but it's all a matter of personal taste.

18. diabolik

diabolik

Jul 20, 2004
    When my flatmates get home, I'll see if one of them can take a couple of photos for you. I don't have a digital camera.

I did think about Moses but, I have read some really mixed reviews on the build quality. Also the fact that EB used Status on the NAMM bass swayed me in that direction. Those basses were string through body though.

Wish I could find a review on how well they played.

19. diabolik

diabolik

Jul 20, 2004
    Here is a photo of the string mutes, and one of my basses. The image quality is pretty bad though :cool: