Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay neck, unfinished?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by carl-anton, Aug 12, 2002.

1. I'm confused! I thought that my StingRay5 had an unfinished neck, that needed an occational shot of oil (linseed?). But now my dealer says, that the neck is lackered and doesn't need any oil. Only the fretboard needs oil occationally.
    The MM website says that Stingrays have unfinished necks. What to belive?
    If it's like I think it is (dealer or not!) then both neck and fretboard is unfinished, and need oil sometimes. What kind of oil do you use? Saw that R. Sadowsky uses linseed oil.

2. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Depends what kind of fretboard you have. Rosewood and Pau ferro are unfinished, Maples are finished.

3. It's a rosewood fretboard. It's unfinished then. But how about the neck? (my bass is a 2000 stingray5)

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    maple fretboards are unfinished on stingrays....

5. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Guess I'm wrong...Wicked suprised though, I'm almost 100% sure that Maple fretboards are finished. Sorry for the wrong info. However I do know for sure that the necks are finished with Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend. In the STEWMAC finishing book I have, it says rarely a fretboard is completely unfinished, it just has a very light flash coat.

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    you're right... by "unfinished" they mean that it isn't lacquered or anything. The gunstock oil and gunstock wax used on the back of the neck is also used on the front.

either way, it definately isn't lacquered, unless it's an aftermarket modificatoin. Both the fretboard and the back of the neck are treated the same way.

7. And, boy, does that feel nice. Why do other companies bother with the laquer stuff when the musicman neck's are so nice?

8. Dunno.....I was under the assumption that it's to make the neck stabile. When you get a warmoth neck, they won't warranty it unless it's finished properly.

9. Yeah, thats actually why I'm asking. The last few days its been really humid where I live, and the bass keep going out of tune (flat). I wondered if it's because the neck hasn't had applied oil to it since it left the factory 2½ years ago, that it's so susceptible to humid conditions. Hence the question: what oil/wax should I use? I have to go by 'type' (like in 'linseed') because we don't have the same brands here in europe (like in 'casey birchwood tru oil' that the MM-site recommends. (What is tru oil, anyway?)). Would it be an idea to go to a furniture shop, and ask them?

10. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Birchwood-casey is a gun supply manufacturer.
    Tru-oil is manufactured for gun stocks.

If you can get your hands on it, you have to remove the neck from the bass, then strip it with acetone... then apply gunstock oil, wait an hour, then gunstock wax (also made by birchwood casey)

The wax polymerizes in the wood and actually helps to protect it.

I don't know what to say about the Europe Thing. Maybe try to order it from the U.S.? I'm sure finding gun supplies in denmark would prove to be rather difficult. (Are guns illegal everywhere, or just the uk?)

11. Thanks for the info, Falsehoodbass. :)
    I'm going to see Christian Celinder of Celinder basses soon. I'll see what he has to say. Sounds like the stripdown acetone thing isn't something you do once every month! I just want to maintain my bass to keep it working, not treat it like a some kind of furniture.

About the gun thing: You have to get a licence (which for what I know, is way harder than in the US). But there's lot of people that goes hunting, so there's shops for that too here.