Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil101, Aug 12, 2003.

1. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    when i first got really into stingrays (about 3-4 yrs ago) they always had beautiful figured maple necks with a lot of cool patterns in them. now the maple necks just look like your average fender. has anyone noticed that?

erik

2. My neck has some pretty nice patterns in it. Not all necks are birdseye maple which is what you might be thinking of.

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I heard somewhere on TB that they stopped making birdseye maple boards standard after 1995.

Anybody know for sure??

4. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    yes...I have noticed that. The maple doesn't seem to be the same quality stuff they used to use either. My '91 is FULL of birdseye, even the headstock and my '96 has birdseye, just not as much (but the pattern of the maple is really cool). I don't know what they're doing these days b/c the price hasn't dropped but the quality certainly has, which is disappointing.

I played a new one the other day and just didn't like the feel of the neck at all. The bass still seemed well built, just not the same as the old Rays.

5. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    mine has been built in 81 and it's really different with what you find now even the quality's still there...the gloss on the neck make a big part in this difference (to me).

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FWIW, my '91 SR5 neck has a beautiful birdseye, but my '99 has none whatsoever. My '95 has a little, but not much. Seems they've been slowly decreasing or fading the birdseye out.

Anyone have a 1999 or newer 'Ray with a birdseye neck? If so, please chime in.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    they stopped using the birdseye becuase ernie ball said that it was not as strong a wood as normal maple. Thats the information i got from their rep. Im not sure if thats the whole story but he said birdseye was a weaker wood and more prone to bending and twisting.