Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray - New Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeYello, Feb 10, 2006.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I noticed at the music store that the pickups on the latest Stingrays have magnets that resemble those of the Sterling. The magnet looks smoother........does this effect the tone at all? Does it make the news Rays warmer sounding?

Thanks for any info.

Joe

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There are active forums over at www.ernieball.com ... you may be able to get more info there.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If the polepieces are nice and shiney with rounded edges,that means its a ceramic magnet with stainless steel polpieces.Just like the Sterling. I personally never liked the factory MM pickups,and always replaced them with a basslines alnico version. Sounds more like an original Stingray.It's more a matter of personal taste really.I was under the impression that Stingrays always came with alnico magnets,and everything else had the ceramic/ss pickup. There are quite a few folks at the EB board that could tell you exactly what it's in there.