1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray Nordstrand pickup dimension help needed.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wraithwrider, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    I've a modern MM Stingray that by itself is okay but compared to my Nordstrand 4.3 Alnico equipped Sterling is just plain unsubtle and a bit dull.

I tried fitting a Nordstrand Bigman into the 10mm deep pickup cavity and it's too deep a pickup at 20mm depth with a 3mm cable bundle underneath the treble side. The original pickup is 16mm deep with a 1mm cable. The Bigman pickup is less than a mm from the G string with no foam or springs fitted underneath.

I can't find a height dimension for the Nordstrand 4.2 online. Has anyone got one they can measure?

2. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Carey Nordstrand posts here sometimes. Otherwise, I'd just give them a call during business hours. I'm sure they would be happy to help you out.

Wraithwrider likes this.
  3. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    Many thanks. I'm progressing the issue with the dealer here who will contact Carey about it. I was looking for options other than getting the bass routed and wondered if changing plans and fitting a 4.2 would work. I can't find any pickup depth dimensions online. It's very dissapointing having everything ready to do a mod and then coming up against a big issue like this leaving the bass out of action until it's resolved.

Peter

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hey there,
    I apologize that we don't have depth and installation notes on the website yet. This thread has definitely brought the issue to light. We are going to correct the oversight as soon as we can.

Wraithwrider likes this.
  5. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    Many thanks Carey, much appreciated.

Carey likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021