Stingray or American Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rathervague, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Listen, I just got a stingray but now I'm not sure if I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE. I got it at GC so I can still trade it in, no harm so what do you think? Blues and Rock is what I play, I just am worried about versatility and being able to get bluesy sounds out of it. Help me out.
  2. garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    I did the same thing earlier this year, it came down between a Stingray and an MIA Jazz and I chose the 'Ray. As much as I love the Ray, I ended up selling a ton of my old gear and saving chunks of my paychecks to buy the Jazz that I didnt choose initially. Now I use the Jazz way more than the Ray (it just fits my band's sound much better, your situation may require what the ray has to offer), so if I could go back and do it again, I would have chosen the J-Bass from the get-go and possibly gotten a Ray somewhere down the road.
  3. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Well, what kind of music does your band play?
  4. garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    think fugazi in a blender with jawbreaker and hot water music.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That thing has a "tone" or "treble" knob, right? Roll off. Instant blues tone. You're welcome. :)
  6. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'd personally go with the jazz. that's what i own. i have quarter pounders in it as well. it's awesome and i love it. i've never been completely crazy about stingray's though, so i might not be the best judgement here.
  7. I own a 'Ray and absolutely love it. They are aggressive by nature, but you can tame them by playing near the neck, using flats and turning down the treble as Philbiker said.

J's also sound great for Blues, but if I may introduce a third candidate:

I played one last week for the second time in a year, and I'm telling you, this baby's got a lot to offer !!! :bassist:

The neck pup has a very mellow and percussive P-bass tone, while the double J pup near the bridge gives neither a Stingray tone, nor a regular J tone, but it's bright and sounds good solo, or blended.

If you're really thinking of swapping your 'Ray for a Jazz, check this one out before you make a final decision. It just might surprise you.

It really impressed me.

Good luck.

Mike ;)
  8. I know I'm a little out of touch with some new-lingo terms, but what does this translate into? :D

Mike (old fart)
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i'd say thr jazz is better for blues and rock. but they are both pretty simmilar for their types of music.
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    if you choose the ray you might also want a good pre amp like the rack mounted sansamp RBDI (or something like that) or a thunderfunk, theres a bassist over here that uses a sterling through a new thunderfunk and it sounds jazzy and agresive at the same time.

I like both basses but i would change their pickups to fit my tastes.
  11. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    The Jazz Bass period.
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    You can get great tones for blues or rock from either P, J or SR.

What will make the difference is up to your taste : width of the neck, active or passive, etc.

13. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Don't worry. Both were designed by the genious of Leo. If you like the Ray, keep it and begin a savings mission for the Jazz. Then in a while you will own both and be twice as fortunate as me. Do not forget to play a G&L, the last cousin to P, J and Ray.IMO the G&L is the ultimate Leo creation. Try 1
  14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO both are fine instruments. I give EB/MusicMan the edge on quality control in regards to fit and finish. I also like EB's trussrod adjuster wheel, which makes trussrod adjustments really easy. The StingRay has a aggressive, in your face sound yet it's easy to get a lot of different sounds out of one; IMO it's not as a much of a "one trick pony" as many people think it is.

But this being said, I personally prefer the American Standard Jazz over the StingRay for playability and versatility. For me, the Jazz easily fits into many styles and it's such an easy bass to play.

Hopefully you have a local Guitar Center or another retailer nearby who carries both the Jazz and the StingRay so you can compare them head-to-head.

FWIW, I prefer the Fender American Standard Precision over both the Jazz and the StingRay, -but that's a different thread. :D
  15. George Thoroughgood's bassist uses a ' sounds like a 'ray, and sounds great in the band.

Too many blues bassists play this non-descript...thuddy, thud, thud sound...I CAN'T STAND IT!
  16. I bet you win a lot of debates with your execution of fact presentation.
  17. funkifried

Nov 14, 2005
    I have a Stingray 5 and a Jazz and can get whichever sound I need from either. I lean toward the jazz for Blues - but not by a lot.

I'd suggest a Sterling instead of a Stingray (4 string), if you like the Music Man basses, as it seems to have more tonal options.

Buy the one that feels best to you.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you love the Stingray, keep it. It's a great bass and will serve you well. But there's a saying that all the studio bassists tell newbies, "If you can only own one bass, make it a Fender." I would never presume to tell you which bass to buy, but I personally would have gone with the Jazz, only because a Jazz Bass is never frowned upon by anyone except the snobbiest of boutique bass players (most of who just happen to have a Jazz laying around the house), and how many of them will ever hire you for a gig? Then again, it's highly doubtful that people will sneer at your Stingray, either.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Rathervague, if you like the Stingray, it is more than capable of getting the sounds you want. The Stingray is as versatile as a Jazz or Precision in my opinion. If you would prefer the Jazz, take back the Stingray and get one. They are great basses too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.