Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray or Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Jan 9, 2005.

1. I just recently purchased a brand new American Deluxe Fender Jazz bass from my local music store and I like it a lot. I feel like it gives me a good range of sound which is nice because I like to have that variety in the group I play with now. However, I have always been interested in the Stingrays. I play a 4 string and I've just been confronted in a situation where I can trade my jazz bass straight up for an Stingray. I was just hoping to get some input from someone who has played with both basses before. If anyone is interested in the style of music my group plays I can post a link to the mp3's online. It ranges from pop punk to ska to some harder rock stuff, really just a mess around group with my friends, but I want to have the best bass for what I'm doing. I've just recently been starting to get into funk, listening to a lot of earth wind and fire and tower of power, really just trying to get away from the only music I know and become a more versatile bass player. I want to sound as good as I can with anything that I wind up playing, so I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a general contrast between the two. Thanks a lot!

2. Yeah, I also though the American deluxe series are active.
    Active or not, they sound great.
    It'd be cool to have one in addition to my Stingray. I'm actually GASing for a Jazz Bass, but no Fender, Sadowsky Metro. These basses just have something fender doesn't (don't ask me what)

3. Why don't you keep the Jazz and just get an OLP for a couple hundred or so? It won't have the active but at least you would have that tool in your box when needed.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For the music your describing, either would sound great. By preference I'd choose the Stingray. It stands out alot more than Jazz Basses and is more commonly found in ska bands. But both basses are great for the money, and it really comes down to personal choice.

~Patrick

5. thanks a lot for all of the input. Sounds like the two basses are pretty equal for what I'm trying to do. I would just keep the jazz and fork out money for an olp or a sub but i'm an unemployed college kid trying to self release a cd with my band, and studio time isn't cheap, not to mention mixing mastering and pressing. But oh well, I'm just glad to have the stuff I already do. I think I'm going to try and get into contact with the guy and maybe we can set up a temporary trade for like a week so I can try it out myself. I just wanted to see if there were any clear advantages between the two.

6. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    im 'babysitting' my friends Stingray right now cause i wanted to hear what it sounded like in my bands. I was soo set on getting a Ray. At first i loved how it cut through both guitarists. But then just something about it i didnt like. It was as though the eq's make it sound somewhat artificial; it was either too boomy or too trebly. I guess i have to fiddle with it more. So I went back to my P-bass and put roundwounds on(it had flats on for my rockabilly band) and it was as though my bass had new life to it. Tons of growl. Which is what the Jazz had when i played it at my local GC.
    My next bass is going to be either a Jazz or a Stingray. But right now its leaning toward the Jazz. I just wish the Fender necks had the same finish as the Ray cause it is sooo silky smooth. Plus since its passive its one less thing to worry about shorting out on ya and you dont have to worry about batteries. And now the Americans have the S1 switch so you get different sounds in one bass.
    Im tired (just got back from my gig from last night) so i hope that this made some sense.

7. electricJ

electricJ

Dec 24, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago (although I was comparing a used Stingray to a Geddy Lee Jazz) and ended up going with the Stingray. Both are great though... I may end up eventually going with a Jazz later down the road after buying a new rig.