1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray or Jazz for non-slap funk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n1as, Jul 3, 2017.

1. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Probably an odd question so let me give y'all a bit of background. I played my first Stingray (Well, a SUB actually, but close enough) at GC a couple of days ago. I was impressed by it and the mid heavy burpy sound it gave. Sort of like a thicker heavier of a J bridge pickup. I don't think it would replace my P bass for holding down the bottom on ballads but on the faster, busier parts I could see it bringing some welcome note definition to the table.

So for busy bass lines, do you think a Jazz using the bridge pickup is better or worse than the Stingray?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Depends on the sound you dig.

Joe Dart gets a lot of mileage out of both.

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    ¨Finger funk¨ sounds nasty. :***:

4. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Oh, you are right! I wonder if I can still edit the title.

Turns out I can so I changed it to "non-slap".

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bernard Edwards, Louis Johnson, Tony Levin, Paul Denman (Sade,) all got great results playing Music Man basses fingerstyle.

Check out Steve Arrington's first solo album, it is full of aggressive Stingray playing fingerstyle. Chic features smooth finger funk.

6. Reggiep

Reggiep

Mar 18, 2004
    Michigan
    Boy's are throwing down!!!Great!!!

7. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Joe Dart is using a Classic Sterling, which is series wiring only and a 2 band eq. I had one of these and it was a sweetheart, but not a typical Ray.

The Ric Treble pickup solo'd falls somewhere between the Jazz bass bridge pickup and the Musicman tonally. Something else to consider.

1 pickup Dimension basses and G&L 1500 series basses have a mix of the burpy jazz tone and a bit of the Musicman tone. The Musicman tone comes from their low output pickups and the hyped up sounding preamp. The other basses with the Musicman pickup location seem to be more organic sounding.

What's better? I like turtles.

8. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I think I am liking the Stingray over the Jazz. Drat. I don't want to buy another bass but don't want to sell my Jazz to make room for a Stingray.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  9. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Banned

The jazz bass will make for great wall art once you have the Stingray.:)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  10. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    How many basses do you have/want? I've only ever owned one at a time. In retrospect, that was just straight stupid. If you can, save up and just build up the stable.

RaggaDruida and aaronious like this.
  11. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I believe the answer to your question will be what's been said in so many other threads on TB...it's your hands, not the bass. And in this case, I really believe it.

12. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Hard to go wrong with either, IMO.

Other things to check out would be Rickenbacker 4003S, and 4004, and G&L Kiloton, L1500, and L2000 basses.

AztecViking likes this.
  13. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    I mainly play fingerstyle Funk. I've had 6 Jazz Basses and have sold them all. I've had one StingRay, and I still play it every day. It's just got The Sound.
    Both are great and iconic, and you could be totally justifiably content with either but my vote is for the Ray.

ajkula66 and spaz21387 like this.
  14. I would advise saving up for an EBMM Stingray. Different animal than a SUB.

Morrighan, NigelD, spaz21387 and 2 others like this.
  15. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Either will do just fine as far as sound. It will depend on what feels good in your hands. Both have very different neck designs. I like the Stingray because there's not much taper, and I play a lot down by the nut and slide up a lot. And I play guitar so it feels right for me. However, the Jazz necks have a lot of taper and real tight at the nut. Not for me, but may be for you. Again, it all comes down to what feels good in your hands.

16. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I agree, the full on EBMM is the way to go, and another option, the Sterling Ray34 which is a close replica of the stingray.

Inara and spaz21387 like this.
  17. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Pluck near the bridge pickup on the jazz bass with both pickups on. If you don't like that, try the EBMM...

18. A Jazz Bass is always the answer.

Madwatch, Injunrider and gsgbass like this.
  19. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Both are ideal for it. For me the Stingray asks a bit stronger to be played "funky-style".

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  20. Rayjay

Rayjay

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    It depends on a lot of things! Both are great basses though. Consider:
    -Both work great with either flats or rounds
    -Both are very comfortable
    -passive Jazz would be my preference if you use a lot of effects, especially things like envelope filters and octavers - Music Mans have hot outputs. Some od and distortions don't like active basses either
    -MM good for simple pedal setups - comp and driver for example - chorus and phaser work great with my MM too
    -if you play with a very hard attack, I've found its easier to clip out the humbucker pup, whereas the passive single coils will take whatever you can throw at them

Dr. Cheese and AztecViking like this.