1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray or P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bmk, Feb 26, 2007.

1. bmk

bmk

Jan 28, 2007
    Hey guys- I have a 70's P bass that I love, but was thinking about getting a Stingray to add to the arsenal. I play mostly classic rock, and I play through an ampeg SVT. What are your thoughts on using the Stingray for classic rock? Will it have the same low end as the P bass? I'm going to play some next week to see how they sound. Thanks!!!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The stingray has a great tone for rock. It does have a nice low end but it will have a bit more kick than the precision. It is more aggresive. It wont be quite as behind the scenes in the mix.

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    My 2 cents: If you can afford to have both basses then do it. I have never owned a real P (I had an Ibanez knock-off) but I have had a Stingray for many years. The main reason to keep both is that they sound quite different but you should feel at home with the neck. The ray has a lot of mid range that might sound a little funny (overly mid-range-y) to you at first especially when you are playing by yourself. As soon as the band kicks in, however, you will be hooked.

Also, I just tried a set of flat-wounds on the ray for the very first time in all these years and I am very pleased with the nice thumpy bottom that I never got with round-wound strings. The ray is plenty bright to use flats with and still cut through the mix like crazy. The flats steer the stingray just a tad in the direction of the P bass.

Good luck . . . .

4. 78Stingray

78Stingray

Feb 26, 2007
    San Diego
    I've been playing my StingRay for more than 20 years. For me, it is THE rock bass, cuts through the mix without the clank or stank of lesser basses. The crowning achievement of Leo Fender's work.
    Enjoy your test drive!

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    The P will have the passive/mellow lows, the Ray will have the active/agressive mids. A Ray played less agressively can do the P tone, but I've never heard a P get the Ray tone. So if you had to get one, I'd get the Ray.

6. bmk

bmk

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for all the speedy replies, you guys are all over it! Your replies have inspired additional questions;

Will the Stingray still work if the battery is dead?

Should I go new, or vintage?

Thanks again guys!

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The Stingray requires a 9v battery but the battery lasts a long time (months and months) if you dont leave the cord plugged in when your not playing.

Vintage Rays are cool but I don't think you can go wrong with a new one. The Ernie Ball Music Man products are absolutey top notch.

I only have one Ray so far (SR5) but I have pretty much lost any desire for any other brand of instrument and am jonseing for a 4 string bigtime.

Good luck in your search and let everyone know what you end up with.

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I'm gonna go the other way: a Precision is much better classic/70s rock bass. It has the low mids and the voicing that just fit perfectly in a band mix. And IMO, the Stingray does not sound anything like a Precision. Oh, and I have several of both.

9. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Thats funny because I swear Stingrays have a mid scooped sound to them.. Eh..

But they are totally diffrent basses.

10. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    just go to www.warmoth.com and build a p-bass with a p pickup and a mm pickup

11. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  12. My Stingray lacked the low-end punch that my P-Bass has, it was aggressive & had more "growl" though.

Two great flavors, but I like the P-Bass a little better for my purposes.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Apples or Peanuts?

You couldn't have picked 2 different basses. I'd go with the Stingray for rock, it's aggresive and will cut through the mix real nice.

The P bass is nice too, real low thick tone.

You really can't go wrong with either.

14. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    if you get a 2 pickup stingray...you can get that awesome cutting punch of a stingray, and dial in more bottom.
    The HH model has a pretty convincing active p-bass impression if you solo the neck pup and fiddle with the EQ.

15. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    You know what I'll say.

16. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    SO the stingray has this cool little pickup switch...throw it all the way forward and you got P right there...well sorta, it gives it some of the low punch that a P has. Then put it in the center and you've got a J bass...once again sorta. THen all the way back and you got the classic String Ray sound. Its my main bass, I keep buyin others but go back to this one over and over again.

17. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I'd have to go with the Stingray as well, especially since you already have a P. It'll be a great addition to your rock arsenal, in that the P has your classic rock tone and the Ray has an added bark that'll just destroy crowds on accents and add an overall growl to your band's sound. I play mine through an SVT and holy sh*t . . .

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Whichever bass is passive.

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Two great basses and both will work well for classic rock, even though they sound quite different. Make no mistake, there is nothing like a P-bass! It has that massive round tone that just works so well. The StingRay will give you a massive solid wall of bass.

No, the StingRay won't work if the battery goes dead but they last a long time. The battery won't go dead in one shot while playing either, it will likely start to distort first. From all accounts, a new StingRay will work just as well as a vintage one. There are a lot of people that can't tell the difference and also prefer the newer ones. The quality is top notch.

20. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    im a huge fan of the stingray HH. i would highly recommend you give one of those a whirl. its got a ton of versatility in there and still maintain the "stingray thing" while giving you 4 other pickup combos.

swing by a local shop and test drive the HH Ray. i was floored when i played one

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021