1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray or Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbass717, Sep 17, 2008.

1. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    now i am about to buy a super awesome bass. ive narrowed it down to either a musicman stingray HS or a Rickenbacker 4003. Now i have played the stingray and love it. however ive never played a rick. I have been told buy many that the are amazing but i know a lot of people don't like em cause they have a completely different feel. can anyone explain that to me? and which one should i get? :help:

2. Ahh. Well, it's best to try a Ric, if you can. It is a different feel, in scale length, body contour, and the shape of the neck. Plus, the Ric sound isn't for all.

Though, to throw my two cents in, I'd buy the Ric.

3. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    thats the thing there SO hard to find and alot more money

4. That is why you buy used?

5. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    yea true. but i wana play one before i make my final choice

6. If you can find a Craigslist seller of a 4003, maybe he or she will let you try it out. That, or hunt the local music stores.

7. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I played a Ric back when Guitar Center used to own them about 4 years before I bought mine. I loved the string spacing, the sound, and the feel of the neck. I felt like it was made for me. lol.

I saw one a year ago randomly in a Sam Ash and I picked it up after only maybe 20 minutes of playing it. I picked up new for around $1600. A bit high, it seemed they were going for around $1500 at the time, but I figured $100 to not have to wait was well worth it. The prices now have gone a bit out of control from their problems with back orders though.

As for the Stingray, I played one also at Guitar Center and didn't like it at all. The sound was good, but the feel just didn't suit me at all.

Just my anecdotal addition. lol

8. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    You could check the RIC website, and under models, you can see if a dealer near you has had one shipped to them recently. The problem is, that if you play a RIC, and then get another one based on that one experience, it might be different. Best to try the one you might buy, then you will know for sure. There are several differences between what we commenly refer to a RIC bass. 4001, 4003, are very different, and there are many variations in even the same model. Neck profiles, pickups, now the new ones have a "tone circuit" that engages a capasitor to remove some of the low end. I really like the brand new 4003 I just got, with the full width inlays and "tone circuit". I find myself playing it more than my 5 string 4004 at this point. The feel is perfect for me. The tone of these can be very versitile. Dont think the only thing they can do is Geddy or Squire. The bass does what you want it to do. They are NOT a one trick pony. I am biased, but I would choose RIC in a heart beat over a Stringray, but thats just me.

9. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Ernie Ball basses are built very well and fit in about any musical style. They also feel great and are comfortable to play. Rics feel strange if you're used to Fender-style instruments because of the way they balance and feel. They aren't bad, but the Stingray would be my choice.

10. They are two very different basses and much would depend on having played both to decide. Sure you could guage some opionions from the forum on the pros n cons of each, but I'd recommend having a go of them at a store if you can. The feel and tones to me are worlds appart. Neither are bad, but just very different.

11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    A Ric sounds like well a Ric. Also if you are a slapper a Ric may be less than optimal. I have played a Stingray HS and I think that is a super bass with lots-o tone choices.

However the Ric is uber cool and a classic. I have owned a Ric and and a Stingray 4 and I wish I still had the Ric if that helps any. In fact if money were no object I'd have another Ric (and maybe a Stingray HS too).

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    There was a similar thread recently here ...

I had 2 thoughts ...

1 - buy both and take a few years and sort it out ...

2 - right now with the prices of Rics the stringray is a better buy ...

13. What sort of music do you play?
    I use my Ric for pop/rock/melodic lines and my MusicMan for heavy/funk/reggae.

Personally I think the feel of a bass is very over rated. I'd play a goddamn tea-chest if it gave me the tone I want.
    The MM and the Ric feel and sound totally different - love em both.

14. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Neither, buy a Spector Euro 4LX.

Attached Files:

15. +1 to the above sentiment.

+1 to the deja vous.

16. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    i play all kids but for bands id play hardcore, metal, punk, rock, alternative, with some slapping in their +)

17. hmm.... Personally I always reach for the Ric- but I play a lot more rock/poppy stuff.
    I think you'd probably be happier with the Ray- particularly if you get an HH pup config. You'll pull a much wider range of tones and a beefier/punchier sound.

That said... I'm totally in love with my Ric and if I had to rescue one from a burning house- it'd be that.

18. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    right now the best choice would be a musicman. you played it and you know how it feels and how it sounds but your not sure of the Ric. besides a MM is cheaper in plenty of circumstances. a while back i had hopes for a bass but i realized the neck was too big and it didnt sound too hot so go with what you know. everyone has their own preference

19. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I'd get the 'Ray. They're still reasonably priced and on the used market you can pick one up for under $1000.

Ricks are great basses but I can't recommend spending the money to buy a new one today, as they've gone to nearly boutique pricing now. It's best to try to find one used if possible, but keep in mind you'll still pay much more for a used one than a 'Ray, since the prices have gone ridiculously high on Ricks lately.

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I want a Ric too, but I'd get the Ray.