Stingray or Sterling and why

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Dec 30, 2004.

1. What are your opinions on Stingrays and Sterlings also how do the 2 compare to each other and which would your prefer and why thanks
  2. you may want to try the search feature on this one!!
  3. Stingray looks, feels, and sounds chunkier. Plus, playing the maple Stingray 5 neck is better than sex.
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    SR is bigger, it feels like it weighs about a pound and a half more than the Sterling. It is a great looking and great sounding bass. The 5-string neck feels huge to me and I don't like it. My hands are kinda small so I need to change positions a lot on them. But like I said before they sound great.

I like the Sterling better because the neck is thinner. I find that to be more comfortable to play and it feels faster. The Sterling also has a three way coil switch. I think it makes it a little more versatle but that is a mater of opinion. There is no 5-string option with the Sterling though. At least not yet.

Both are winners though.
  5. WHAT?! And here I am wasting my time not playing a Maple Stingray 5. :rolleyes:

*runs to buy a stingray 5*

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You need to find better sex.

Sterling guy here. I prefer the neck and balance over the SR. SR5s feel like big Sterlings to me, which is good.
  7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My first MM was a Stingray (trans teal) When the Sterling came out I fell in love with it's somewhat slimmer neck and a bit more versatile sound. I can't complain about the Stingray though either... both are super well constructed, I just preferred the Sterling... and ended up with two fretted/fretless (the fretless was a gift! ;) )
  8. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    I have to agree. Maple neck Sting Ray 5s better than sex. I love mine and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Although, the Sterlings are really good for their price. All in all though. The Stingray.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterlingggggggggggggg just got one myself and love it..

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sterlings have a more colorful sound ;)

Attached Files: