Stingray or Sterling over a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Except they are all fours, you sound like me.

2. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    My ‘95 Sterling is one that I will never sell. It’s perfect for what I need it for: idiot-proof tone that fits with any genre. I’m not a big dude, so the body and neck are just a perfect fit.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Of all the basses I’ve owned or at least played, the Stingray is my clear favorite.

I’ve also owned three Jazzes, including one that I still own and really like a lot (and have been falling in love with since the pandemic restrictions started). All of them very nice basses. I’ve also owned some other really nice basses, including Lakland, Warwick, and G&L, as well as a Fender Precision. But, so far, none have been able to unseat my current Stingray from its #1 position. It just works for me.

Giffro and Tubehed like this.
  4. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    While both have their own distinctive tone that is called for in various situations, I find that I much prefer playing my StingRays to my Jazzes. I haven't had the opportunity to try a Sterling, but I've gotten used to the wider board on the Rays, so I'm not in any hurry to add to the stable at the moment.

5. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I think if I had to choose a single BG I'd take a HH ray over a jazz, just for that extra bite you can drive. You can always tame it with EQ. I'm just glad I don't have to choose.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    How about Stingray, Sterling, AND Jazz? That’s what I have. A ‘94 Stingray (bought it new), USA Sterling fretted and fretless, and a G&L JB taking the Jazz slot. All very different tones. The Sterling I really like because it’s pickup in series mode is amazing sounding. Full, tight low end, round upper mids and, with the right strings, the perfect high end. I love the size and weight and everything about it. The fretless is the best sounding fretless in the world as far as I’m concerned. The Jazz tone is just classic and there’s nothing like it. Same with the stingray. You need all of them!

7. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    No jazz! I sold mine years ago because it just did not have a big sound with the punch. I bought a new sterling stingray for a beater. I have played it at every gig for a year now!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I can't stand the tone of rays. Or the look. But, a lot of people do.

9. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    well I have been playing American Fender Jazz basses for 50 years..and Gibsons too..I dont like stacked knobs on the 60th anniversary jazz basses..but thats just me.. as some people love them..never had a desire to even pick up a stingray..other than fender and gibson..there are other basses I would go to before stingray..AC and Elrick come to mind..

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I like both basses but if I could only bring one to a gig, it would be a jazz. Just a personal opinion before I get pounced on by some, but the jazz is the more versatile of the two. Just played my Ray actually, so I really do love it, but not for everything.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There's nothing wrong with having a MM and a Fender. Rays have a different voice than a P or a J. I agree, plenty of bottom. But there's a throat punch if you need it. I find they work very well.
    If you think you have too many basses just always keep one in a case. Then when you rotate that into your music room it's like a homecoming.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are not clear. Do you mean a lot of people do or don’t like Stingray tone?

13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    This all depends on what you mean by "Sterling."

14. The Fender ergonomics are what I’m used to after playing them for 20 years. Neck width aside, I find it amazing how I can go back and forth between the P and the J and find the feel to be almost the same. The kind I’m least familiar with are the hollow body basses. I’d really struggle if I had to play one.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. I've owned two USA Sterlings over the years and a number of StingRays. I've never really loved any of them until the StingRay Special came along. The super aggressive, zingy EBMM sound isn't my thing, but you can tame it and get far more versatility out of a Special imo.
    After playing out with P-Basses almost exclusively for years, I'm really warming to the Jazz lately.

lowdownthump, Dr. Cheese and Holdsg like this.
  16. I use ‘em for slap basses. The Stingray has more ‘thumb’ style boom. The Jazz has more
    ‘snap’.

17. The StingRay sound is has been the "ideal" bass tone in my mind for years (think Ross Valory).

I finally bought a Sterling last summer and it is without a doubt my favorite sounding bass. I have very limited experience playing Jazz Basses (I have only ever owned P's); but I much prefer the Sterling to any Jazz I have played. The neck profile I purchased (dang but every single model of MM/Sterling is different!) is as close to my Reverend (my #1) as possible. I am actually going purchase a second Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. StingRay before the year is over.

LBS-bass likes this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I mean that a lot of people do. But, I'm not one of them.

19. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have a Stingray 4H and a Bongo HS from some years ago. I also still have my Jazz bass. As much as I love the Sterling, and would love to have one, they are now just too freakin' expensive. EBMM's pricing is through the roof. I'll just keep what I have. But the Sterling is very versatile sound wise, IMO more-so than the Stingray and the Jazz. Wish I could have them all. :unsure:

20. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    Stingray or Sterling over a Jazz?
    maybe in addition to, but not over.

lowdownthump and Funky Phantom like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021