Stingray or Sterling over a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 27, 2020.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I do. Stingrays and Precisions. That's it. Jazz doesn't do it for me. I also prefer a wider neck that Ps and Rays have.

Your SUB Sterling also has an alnico pickup, not ceramic like Sterlings have. The 3 band preamp is also a standard Stingray preamp. Your SUB is basically a standard 3 band Stingray in a Sterling shape. That's because they wanted to save money on production as you know, but it didn't work out in the end. So yeah, yours doesn't sound like a Sterling, but it feels and looks like one.

2. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Let’s see... I own three Stingrays, and my only Fender is a heavily modded Jaguar, so I guess my answer is pretty clear. All my Jazzes, and J-Styles (Sadowsky) are long gone and not missed.

3. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    I sold my Jazz years ago and kept my Ray5, and still I haven't regretted a single moment.

Giffro and Thegrandwazoo like this.
  4. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I prefer my US Sterlings to any Jazz I've ever played, and the only Jazz (besides any weirdo parts bass I might build) I'd ever consider these days would be a US Geddy. The choice is dead simple for me.

SteveCS, byoung93888 and swink like this.
  5. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    He's talking about the US-made Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling bass model, bot Music Man's budget import 'Sterling' line of instruments. It's confusing, I know, but that's how they name them.

6. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    The Sterling body is much smaller than the Stingray's, and the pickup and electronics are also different.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They sound great, they play well, and they’re beautifully made. I keep thinking I should get a Ray. I’ve been thinking that since the first time I played one at E.U.Wurlitzer back in the 70s.

Still haven’t bought one.

Go figure. :laugh:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    The Sterling was created as a four-string version of the Stingray 5 which used ceramic magnet pickups and a different preamp than the StingRay's alnico magnet pickups. Later the Stingray 5 got alnico's and they made a Sterling 5 with ceramics...

SteveCS likes this.
  9. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    One cure for GAS is picking up double bass. It’s an expensive buy-in but you’ll spend 100% of your time and energy on music. And when you do pick up a bass guitar, you’ll discover you won’t care what it sounds or feels like because you’ll realize that most of that comes from YOU. Check out Chris McBride’s groove on this. And then go check him on electric. Forgive me if I sound preachy, no judgments here. Just relaying my experience. Cheers, Doc.

10. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    I just ordered my first Sterling. Due in 2 weeks. But honestly speaking, from my experience playing the Caprice and the Cutlass, anything EBMM>anything Fender. I've never played a Custom Shop, obviously, so that cannot be compared.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    For me, Ernie Ball basses sound like basses should sound - the Stingray sound is the sound in my head. But I realize that most of the world doesn't feel that way.

I'd recommend a working bass player invest in a Precision bass first, a jazz bass second, and then something they personally like third - perhaps a Stingray.

12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1. Double bass is such a different instrument that when I switch I find myself focusing much more on choosing notes versus playing the instrument.

I told myself I was going to take only my EUB to a few gigs to force myself to play 3 sets on it and see what sort of thing happened. Haven't committed to it, and now there are no gigs and I have no callouses. But maybe someday.

13. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    The Geddy is such a fantastic bass. I got mine in early 2017 and its my only bass now. Just no want for another. I will occasionally think about a second for backup purposes here and there.... but the thinking about it never gets beyond thinking about it.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    The best bass I have ever had is my MM Sterling which I bought in 1997/1998.

I regard it higher than any MM Stingray I have ever played.

That being said, I can see situations where Fender JB (or some other bass) would be preferable.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Ok got it!

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree about how great the a Geddy is.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    My Stingray has been the main bass since I bought it 12 years ago. I still love my jazz, but pretty much always end up recording with the 'Ray. It's a bit more versatile.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Short answer is YES; Stingray > Jazz

Can I quote myself from a couple of years ago?

swink and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess it’s just a downsized Stingray, but I love it.

mouthmw likes this.
  20. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    I have a 4 string SH Sterling, and I love it. But I can see myself buying a Stingray5 as an addition though. I think if you're the collecting kind of person (which I am), you'd want a P, Jazz, MM type of bass and a Ric (and lots more, in my case lol). It's fun switching, and it makes me approach things differently. To me the differences between a Stingray and a Sterling are noticable, but small. Sterling in parallel, with boosted highs and lows comes very close to a Stingray. Within a mix both sound like a MM and not a Jazz or P, and more importantly: they made me play Musicman style. Aggressive and punchy.

Jorge Paredes likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021