Stingray or Sterling over a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    SmartSelect_20200320-110623_Chrome.jpg

DJ Bebop and jmattbassplaya like this.
  2. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I'm more of a custom guy, but when I decided to buy a good production bass, the SR was more to my liking (although I cut my teeth on a Jazz). I also think a SR is closer in tone to my main bass, a Wal, than the Jazz.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I really like the Stingray 5, had one for my main player for a few years.
    Would really like check out a two-pickup Stingray.
    And I've never had a Jazz of my own to really play and gig with, so I can't compare. But I seem to like humbucking pickups!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    love 'em both.

Flaked Beans and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I have nothing against design of Stingray, Sterling, but j-bass seems to me like a bass king in all ways, there fore there are so many brands compying it. I vote for j-bass.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. BradH

BradH Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Billings, Mt
    I try to keep only one 5 string on hand.
    I have had 5 string Sterling's before & did really like them.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    #1 Precision
    #2 Stingray
    #3 Jazz

My order of preference. All superb and have their place of course.

grrg63, voltisa78 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    How about a J-Ray? I put this together a few years ago. Warmoth, Nordy PUP and a Mojotone 2 JRay1.jpg band 'MM clone'. I't's one of my all time faves

pcake, dave64o and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Embrace your collector nature. Not for me but it makes sense for you with the amount of videos and basses you watch/try.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just wish it made more sense for my wallet.:smug:

luciens, pcake, dave64o and 1 other person like this.
  11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I wish I liked the Ray5. I owned one for a hot minute. Purchased new. It had a dead spot on the low D note of the B string which, for my purposes, made it next to useless. Never cared to try another. Still love their 4Hs though.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I'm the same way. I always start out thinking I only need just the one and a backup and now I'm done. Then shortly after that I realize the cold hard truth, that GAS is no respecter of the checking account... :) And there's no such thing as enough basses :).

I'm starting to GAS now for a fretted bass, for the first time in probably 20 years. Strangely enough I want a fretted tone sometimes, that I can't quite cop with my FLs. I have a few candidates, and I might even have a look at a Sterling. The only problem is I usually decide that for a little less money I can just get an L2K and the GAS just goes back and forth like that, ad infinitum.... :)

L

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Probably needed a set up and new strings.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Hey Doc, I have owned a Sting Ray and a Jazz. Both were "out of character" purchases for a "dyed in the wool" P bass man.

The SR5 ended a run of 25 years with the same Fender Precision bass and was my first 5 string. I learned a lot on that bass. Even so, I knew that with the tone and narrow string spacing it wasn't the bass for me.

About 4 years ago a Sadowsky Metro Jazz came up at a good price and local to me. I had never owned a Jazz before and, surprisingly, it instantly become my go to bass. I think I'm done changing up. For me the Metro is better than all of the basses I've owned leading up to this point. My second bass is a Mike Lull PJ5, to keep the P bass continuity going, but the Metro is just makes me want to play.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. adk teleman

adk teleman

Aug 28, 2011
    Alex Bay NY
    Spector Basses, La Bella Strings
    For a 4 string I’ll always go Jazz! For a 5 string, Sterling! I have both, so I’m a happy guy!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I was weaned on Jazz basses, so I do have a soft-spot for them, but they no longer fit with my tastes and playing style. For me, against a StingRay or Sterling there is just no contest.

Foolishly, a few years ago now, I let a trams-gold Sterling slip through my fingers. It was hands down the best 4-string fretted bass I ever played. I did get a few pictures whilst I was contemplating it...

20180322_160811.jpg

Both my StingRay and Ray34 now have ceramic pickups (EBMM Sterling pickup with 3rd coil removed in the Ray34 and Delano MC4-FE in the StingRay) so are much closer to the Sterling in character - open clarity, fast transients, dynamic range and sensitivity.

Zbysek, swink, dave64o and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is quite good looking!

SteveCS likes this.
  18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yes it is, indeed! :bassist:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I had a Sterling Ray 34CA a few years back. Sounded ok, but I was never really happy with it. In the studio we noticed that the 1st and second frets on the E string were the same and unable to be corrected. I'm sure mine was just a lemon, but turned me off the rest of the way.

20. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I probably could have tolerated it, just about! I'd actually worked out an 'in principal' trade-in deal with the shop, but needed to bring the other instruments in for assessment before they would take a holding deposit. When I came by a week or so later the Sterling was gone...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021