Stingray or Sterling over a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I thought the ole Sterling sounded good in church today. The camera on my iPad, not so much.

redstrand likes this.
  2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Oh heck yeah. You always hear folks saying you just got to have a P bass to play Soul, Praise&Worship, Gospel, Motown and etc., but hey you proved that wrong... :)

Leo Fender knew what he was doing when he made the Stingray.

Maybe one day I'll finally get that Sterling that's in the back of mind if I can find an unlined one...

L

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Music Man Stingrays, Sterlings, and Sabre’s are great all around basses if you accept that they are not going to sound like P-Basses and Jazzes. The reverse is true for Fenders.

luciens and dave64o like this.
  4. MoonGrowler8

MoonGrowler8

Jul 27, 2015
    Illinois
    I fell in love with the Music Man Basses when I shortly owned a Stingray Special 5 (Charcoal Sparkle) for about a week or so. I was making payments on it but had to send it back after losing my job at the beginning of May this year. Then about a few months ago, I lucky enough to win a Sterling Ray35 QM bass from the bassist of a metal band. As soon as I held it in my hands and played it? That was it for me!! I haven't fell in love with a bass since my parents bought me a Austin 5 string Custom Eclipse in the early 2000s!!(the 3rd bass I owned).
    Even recently I bought my 18 yr. old daughter the Sterling Ray34 PB bass.Now she is has fallen for Music Man basses as well!!! They sound awesome going through a Traynor SB112 bass combo!

eriky4003 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am glad you are still able to enjoy the Music Man sound.

lowdownthump and nilorius like this.
  6. chilee

chilee

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I'd agree, although I still use my MM5 (1995-ish) occasionally. I can't get enough low-mid (~250k) out of it. It's what I love about the pre-CBS basses.

lfmn16 likes this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Agree, other than the 'acceptance' bit. There is nothing to 'accept' here - anyone would think that playing a bass that doesn't sound like a Fender bass implies some kind of compromise. The 'Fender Bass' is no longer the yardstick it once was, and it has long since been de-throned as the only reliable source of electric bass sound. For some of us it is a saving grace that alternatives are available - something to be embraced, not 'accepted' or 'lived with'. The day my 'Rays start to sound like a Precision is the day they go up for sale...

knight of ni and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To be clear, I did not mean accept as some kind of compromise. I am very happy Sterling sounds like it does.

SteveCS likes this.
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Even that is more myth than truth. In the 60's there were all kinds of basses being used. Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Vox, etc. In the 70's Rics were extremely popular. Fender always was and is a reliable standby, but not on a throne

knight of ni and SteveCS like this.
  10. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey Doc, I know you didn't mean it that way, but plenty will read it that way.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see your point.:)

SteveCS likes this.
  12. yes, Yes, YES. So true.

SteveCS likes this.
  13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    All true, but certain elements of TB mythology might suggest otherwise. :D

14. MoonGrowler8

MoonGrowler8

Jul 27, 2015
    Illinois
    Thanks,Dr Cheese is has motivated me musically to create my own voice!!
    And motivate my daughter to play more:)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Tim Poteet

Tim Poteet

Dec 24, 2018
    After all these years playing Fender Jazz, P bass, Gibson EB, Ibanez, Squire, Rics, and Stingrays I’m starting to settle on Stingrays and Jazz basses. I have a 95 and 2017 Stingray and a 2018 Fender American Standard Jazz. Along with a couple of Sterling by MM Basses which are great Basses. I still haven’t been able to find a EBMM Sterling close enough for a tryout. I love the tone differences between the Rays and Jazz, but I have a feeling I may go all in on the American Sterling if I ever run into one that someone wants to trade a Jazz for lol!

fenderVI and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. chilee

chilee

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I originally bought my Stringray 5 because I liked Tony Levin's sound on the Peter Gabriel and Crimson albums, so if I have a song that is in that style, I would use it. If a producer requested it, I'd gladly play it, but it's not my "comfy pair of shoes".

fenderVI likes this.
  17. I have a custom Jazz, medium scale, Ash body with wenge & rosewood neck. I put some Jazzbuckers in there and a 2 Band EQ Stingray Harness. A JazzRay?, a StingJazz? it sounded powerful but just like every humbucker I have ever owned, just sounds muddy in the mix. So I bought some Geddy Lee J pickups, in they went, heaven. Wouldnt mind owning a real Stingray to see how it goes in a mix.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have been playing my Sterling a lot over the last few weeks. In terms of the neck, my Sterling and Geddy are even with the Sterling having a smaller neck. The Sterling is also more compact, which is nice. My Geddy, however, has a full-size Jazz body that is comfy in its own way. I have to say that my Sterling and Geddy are two different flavors of perfect. If I could only have one, the Geddy gets a slight nod for being passive. I love a preamp, but I also love not having to worry about a battery too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  19. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I got it but the USA geddy is another thing and yeah the Sterling is just fine, Doc.

DJ Bebop, lowdownthump and fenderVI like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

My Sterling at church today was sounding quite good!

DJ Bebop and tubatodd like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021