Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray or Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scourtedc700, Jun 18, 2002.

1. scourtedc700

scourtedc700

Jan 29, 2002
    Ok... My new kick when I go to Guitar Center is testing out whatever piece of Music Man paraphenalia they have in stock... Sterling, Stingray, you know. I noticed a difference in the neck widths, but I haven't logged enough hours to notice anything else... I was wondering if maybe someone or someones would be kind enough to give me some opinions, observations, hints... crap like that, cuz if I don't get results I'm gonna succumb to buying a Warwick like everybody else in America... Yeah, maybe you could throw in some opinions about Fender (anything), while you're at it.

2. The pick up positions are different on the 4 string versions. The Ray is closer to the bridge, where the Sterling (my preference) is more closer to the middle of the body.

The 5 string versions of both the Ray and the Sterling have the same pick up positions, IIRC.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Are you sure there is a 5 string version of the Sterling????????????? :eek:

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    there is no 5 string sterling.

The stingray 5 is basically a 5 string version of the sterling.. It has the stingray neck and the electronics of the sterling....

5. Um, yeah, that what I meant. :rolleyes:

I feel dumb now.:(

6. The Sterlings have the control stuff routed through the back, Rays have the metal plate covering up the control cavity.... I don't have or even want a Warwick unless someone gave me one, but if you like um, knock yourself out... If you like the Sterling you might like a Fender jazz??. Both have nice slim necks.... If you like the Ray you might like the P- bass.... A Fender Jazz or p-bass will never sound like a MM. and vice versa. I have a MM ray and a couple Jazz basses.. I like my Fender 75 Jazz reissue best because it has a really clear warm sounding voice. The Ray is almost the opposite. Play as many basses as possible until you find the one that is best for you regardless of the name brand or what everyone else is playing.

7. scourtedc700

scourtedc700

Jan 29, 2002
    Can I have one of your Jazz Basses..? (j/k)

I'll trade a fistful of quarters for anything in decent condition. I just have to steal a fistful of quarters first. Anywho, thanks for the help, I hope more opinions find their way to this thread.

I understand that the Music Man line has a decent reputation as a slap bass... (Flea, pre-Modulus) Which would you bass savy individuals would like to cough up a comment concerning tone and volume. I'm looking for something comfortable and versetile.... so once again, any help is appreciated.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ;) :D

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what everyone says is right,

but i just wanted to add, that the sterling does have a much slimmer neck and tighter, smaller body. the stingray's neck is more pbass like. and the difference should be pretty apparent, but if it dont bother you, then its all good.

also, in addition to the 3 band active EQ, the sterling has a parallel, series, phase (?), 3 position switch, while the stinger doesnt. makes more pickup options than the stinger. also, the sterling has a piezo option, but many say it aint all that. given all these little upgrades, most guys still swear by their stingrays.

if you're a small guy like me and love that stinger look, then the sterling is a great fit. if you're a bigger guy, with hands that feel best on a pbass, then the stingray's good for you.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    get the sr5, best of both

11. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    The pole pieces on the Sterling pickup are rounded and polished smooth. My Stingray pickup's poles have a sharp edge that can be painful if you play over the PU. I have contacted Ernie Ball and they told me to put black electrical tape over the pickup or cover the poles with clear nail polish. How do you like that crap!

I eventualy put in the Seymore Duncan PU and Preamp. They sound better anyway.

12. scourtedc700

scourtedc700

Jan 29, 2002
    That sucks about the Stingray poles being sharp, what a bum steer.

As for hands, I'm not all too keen on the p-bass neck, seeing as I've grown up on Ibanez. I've notice the 3-way switch, but I was wondering how all that ties into one p-up. I figured it had to do w/ the coils being wired in varying combinations.....

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The three positions (not in proper order) are: Series - Parallel - Single with phantom coil (for noise reduction).

14. i prefer the stingray, the sterling seems a little too refined. still a great axe though.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Idea for a Ernie Ball ad campaign:

"Evolved? Sterling!
    Unibrow? Stingray!
    No matter your position in the tree of man, MusicMan!"

16. Both are killer basses but I have to vote for the Sterling if only due to my somewhat diminutive hand size(no jokes please!:p ).Damn hard to beat the quality and sig. sound of the Ray though.

17. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    I heard from a friend of mine that the Sterling was designed in conjunction with Michael Anthony of Van Halen, but he didn't want to put his name on it. Any truth to that?

18. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    ...because he didn't want his name associated with a fine, quality instrument? :rolleyes:

sorry about the sarcasm, but i've never heard that particular rumor and it brought a smile to my face. :D

i suppose it COULD be possible, but i highly doubt it. i just can't think of a reason why he'd decline...

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a 92 Stingray 5 that I bought brand new in 92 and a 77 and 78 stingray that I've had since the very early 80's.I must say I've heard a lot about the non versaility of the MM but I must say I fondly refer to my SR5 as my utilitie bass.I find it versatile and clean and if I had to choose between the SR5 and the Sterling I would have to roll with the SR5,the Sterling is just as decent of a bass as the Warick it just depends on what you are looking for and need from a Bass.and lately I've been thinking about getting another SR5 so if someone has one that their interested in leting go feel free to contact me,it has to have a birdseye neck and fingerboard.