Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray or StingRay5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AZNBassist, May 27, 2004.

1. AZNBassist

AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    Denton
    hmm....ive been considering between either buying a stingray or a stingray5 for quite some time now...

for all you stingray owners, is a stingray5 just a stingray with an extra string? or is there more to it then just the extra string? im a 4-stringer, but i wudnt mind having the low B is the StingRay5 sounded better...

also, ive heard comments on how stingrays (both 4&5 stringers) are slap machines, but ive also heard how sweet they sound fretless. in ur opinion, do u think theyre better funk slap machines or do u think theyre better as fretless basses?

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The SR5 is uglier if that influnces you. ;)

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    [​IMG]

Actually the Stingray 5 is more like a Sterling 5
    It has the Sterlins thinner neck and the coil tap allowing you to switch the pickup between series, parallel and single coil. I love mine

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Would you like a Hamburger or a copy of Moby Dick?

I say, if you want 5 strings, go with the Stingray 5, if you want 4, go with the Stingray 4.

5. like said above; if you want a 4, buy a 4. I've got a 4-string SR (2EQ) and totally love the tone. String spacing should be less wide for me actually, but the neck of a sterling isn't thick enough. So I like wide necks, small string spacing (I know, I'm a weirdo). My next bass will definitely be a SR5 :hyper: .....someday

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Have you noticed that this comes up every 10 min?

I think there are like 5-6 of the bassic same question on the first two pages.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Purely subjective. I prefer the SR5, but others don't. Tastes great, less filling . . . yada yada yada . . .