1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray or StingRay5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AZNBassist, May 27, 2004.

1. AZNBassist

AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    Denton
    hmm....ive been considering between either buying a stingray or a stingray5 for quite some time now...

for all you stingray owners, is a stingray5 just a stingray with an extra string? or is there more to it then just the extra string? im a 4-stringer, but i wudnt mind having the low B is the StingRay5 sounded better...

also, ive heard comments on how stingrays (both 4&5 stringers) are slap machines, but ive also heard how sweet they sound fretless. in ur opinion, do u think theyre better funk slap machines or do u think theyre better as fretless basses?

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The SR5 is uglier if that influnces you. ;)

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    [​IMG]

Actually the Stingray 5 is more like a Sterling 5
    It has the Sterlins thinner neck and the coil tap allowing you to switch the pickup between series, parallel and single coil. I love mine

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Would you like a Hamburger or a copy of Moby Dick?

I say, if you want 5 strings, go with the Stingray 5, if you want 4, go with the Stingray 4.

5. like said above; if you want a 4, buy a 4. I've got a 4-string SR (2EQ) and totally love the tone. String spacing should be less wide for me actually, but the neck of a sterling isn't thick enough. So I like wide necks, small string spacing (I know, I'm a weirdo). My next bass will definitely be a SR5 :hyper: .....someday

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Have you noticed that this comes up every 10 min?

I think there are like 5-6 of the bassic same question on the first two pages.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Purely subjective. I prefer the SR5, but others don't. Tastes great, less filling . . . yada yada yada . . .