Stingray output too hot for recording???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    How do you solve the clipping issues with this bass while recording using a interface like saffire ones....it start clipping at very low gain levels...What can I do to get good results with my recording???

2. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Lower your pickup.

3. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    Many soundcards have different input settings for instrument and line level signals, where the line level setting is essentially a pad to attenuate the signal a bit. Look for something like this on your interface (sometimes it is a button on the actual interface, others use a software setting).

Otherwise... turn down the volume on your bass?

4. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Plenty of options:

Is there a pad you can engage on your interface? If so, use it.
    If not, turn down the gain on the interface
    If it's already at it's lowest, try setting your input to line level instead of instrument level, it will bring down the signal.
    Or, just turn down your guitar's volume.

Hope that helps.

5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have the same issues with my G&L's when trying to record. I havent found a hotter bass than the G&L's, just crazy. So I have to both lower the gain in my software and lower the volume on the bass. Thats the only way I can get a decent sound.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Try a Spector with active EMG's and a the Tonepump model with no Trim Pot. In my experience there is no hotter signal.

7. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    do you use a DI or a preamp before plugging in the interface ???

8. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    No only the bass...
    A DI should give a hotter output???

9. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    the volume knob...lower it. it's not like a passive bass knob that affects the tone.

10. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Nunyo, FB
    Try setting the EQ on your bass flat.

The only time I've ever had that problem with an SR is if the EQ was cranked.

Your signal should generally be as flat as possible. If you need more EQ on your bass, save it for the back end and EQ your bass track instead of using the onboard preamp.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

+1...

- georgestrings

12. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I am flat now, do you recomend to record with less bass, mids, or treble??

13. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    LOL, "Stingray too hot for recording" sounds like one of those skeezy Girls Gone Wild videos.

14. I was going to mention the EQ thing as well, but if your bass is set flat, it's probably something on the other end like Knettgummi mentioned. I've recorded with my Stingray 5 HH both at home and in-studio and never had any problems recording, even if I did adjust the EQ a bit.

5sg.

15. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I don't know what would be causing your Stingray to be recording to hot? Like others have suggested, turn down your volume pot if that is the case and then bring down your EQ. What is everything you are running through too? Are you using a compressor at all? Effects? Are you running through a DB or through an amp that is then going to eh board or mic'd?

I have recorded with my Sterling 4H, Stingray Classic 4H, and my Bongo's which are both 18 volts and never once had an issue of recording too hot. Heck, I even had my one Bongo 4HH totally maxed out on one song just see what would happen and it did just fine. Granted, other things had to be turned down but the recording sounded just fine.

16. Sterrrling

Sterrrling Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I find that my Stingray is also incredibly hot and tinny sounding, so to combat that I lower the treble and set my mids and bass EQ up to eiliminate the majority of the clipping noise. Although, lowering the pickup may help too...

17. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    use a pre amp di box like a bdi21,hartke bass attack,mxr 80 and adjust the level.

18. funkstag

funkstag

Jun 30, 2010
    New Zealand
    Lower your pickups a little big. are they at spec height?

19. I always record through a preamp, your sound card is where the problem is I would guess.
    I assume you're talking about a Focusrite Saffire? If so you need to read your manual, it has pads and hi-z inputs.
    Don't turn down your volume on board, or change your pickup height.
    You can use a volume pedal if you don't want to go the preamp route or learn about your interface.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

20. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I am recording with my netbook and the saffire 6 usb only without eefects

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021