1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray Owners: How do you EQ your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Nov 12, 2006.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Assuming you have your amp set flat, how do you EQ your Stingray to get your favourite sound?

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Flat. They're badassed all by themselves.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Flat. On a 2 band of course.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Slight bass boost. Sometimes slight mid or treble boost. Treble when slapping for a slightly scooped sound, slight mid boost when playing some solo stuff in the higher registers.

5. Flat, maybe just a touch of mid boost - 3 band.

6. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    On my 3 band, I cut them mostly. I bring the high to about a quarter, the mid about flat, and the low a little under flat.

7. 3 band eq and graphite neck. Flat bass, treble cut a fraction and mid cut about 15%.

That's the closest I can get to the pre-EB sound, although the modern neck makes for a much more hi-fi character.

8. Usually flat w/slight bass boost (2 band) but I'm not afraid to tweak around depending on what kinda style the song calls for.

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    on a 3 band
    Fingerstyle: treble and mids just passed center, bass flat
    Pick: Treble all the way off, mids just passed center and bass boosted all the way up

10. Flat, boosted bass.

11. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    Treble slightly raised, Mids cranked, Bass raised a pubus or flat.

12. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    +1

13. proghead

proghead

Oct 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    I have two band SRs: 50% treble boost + 50% bass boost.

14. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    On my 3-band EQ I start flat and and a bit of bass or treble as required. I don't touch the mid control much at all.

15. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    on my 3 band i boost bass and mids all the way. when i slap i take some mids out, and sometimes boost the treble a bit, depending on the amp.

16. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Flat

17. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    usually flat. Occasionally I'll roll the hi end just below flat to take a little zing off if I'm going for a smoother, warmer sound.

18. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Surprise, AZ
    3 band Fretless with TI Flats:
    Bass=full
    Mids=flat
    Treble=rolled off about 1/4

Sound=beautiful! :cool:

19. dBean

dBean

May 23, 2005
    Waterford,ON
    For fingerstyle -- Slight bass boost, mid flat, (depending on age of the rotosounds) treble flat or slight cut

20. bhawk1

bhawk1

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    On three studio cuts this weekend, I used position 4 (HH) on my HH SR5 pickup selector. 3-band EQ, which I set at high=flat, mid=flat, bass=boosted 90% for one tune, a busy fingerstyle that called for the bass to stand out a bit in the mix.

On the other two, which were slower and called for a rounder sound, I used the same settings with the exception of rolling off the high and mid about 1/4. The tone, especially low Eb, was *massive*.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021