1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray owners, how often do you change the (good) batteries?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lastminute, Feb 25, 2008.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    I figure that next year, when I buy my first high end bass, it'll be either an American Standard P-Bass or a Stingray.

But right now, I'm a passive snob, and a battery is just one more thing to worry about to me. So ease my fears and tell me that with good batteries, changing them will be like a bi-annual thing?

2. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification
    I usually play it safe and swap out every other string change. My greatest fear is the pre amp dying on a gig, and with the Stingray, as well as many other basses on the market today,there is no option to run passive.
    You could easily go longer, but that's what I like to do.
    hope it helped....

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I do my Stingrays as well as my other actives, every daylight savings time change...so in other words, I change them every six months.

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I replace mine with every string change. So thats about every, 4... 5 months maybe. Never had my SR4 distort on me 'cause of weak batteries.

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    About every six months, just make sure to unplug it when you're not playing (between sets for example).

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I no longer have a 'Ray (a situation I hope to rectify eventually), but when I did, I changed the battery approximately every six or seven months.

To address the second part of your question, it was the farthest thing in the world from being a hassle. I got a long, long battery life, and I never had to worry about it.

7. I do the daylight savings thing as well... never had any problems. I also test my new batteries to make sure that they're actually a full 9 volts.

LR

8. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Your supposed to change them:eek:
    I think the battery in my Stingray is over 2-years old:(

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Every 6 months sounds about right. I also keep a fresh 9V in my gig bag.

10. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

+1 and don't leave it plugged in overnight or something like that. In between sets won't hurt.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm going against the grain here. I usually change them one a year. At that time I throughly clean and set up everything. I play often, and have never really needed to change more often

12. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I change it every few months, but I'm a nut. I'm sure it's unnecessary, once or twice a year (as long as you don't leave it plugged in) should be fine. Mine has the pop up battery compartment so it takes all of 11 seconds to do, so dont let a battery be a factor in your decision.

13. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    3-4 times every year, and before importaint gigs and auditons if it's been a while since last time.

14. Hardly ever. I think I've changed it twice in 8 years.
    I don't get it- I play a lot!

15. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Wait until you hear what you've been missing once you change your battery...:D :bag:

16. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia

It should last a VERRY long time. I had a SR5 for 7 years, and maybe went through 4-5 batteries, none ever dying, just a maintenance change...you can't have that sway your decision

17. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    I change mine every six months or so, to play it safe.

I save the old batteries for use in my electronic tuner. The tuner's lights flash when the batteries are really in need of replacement.

18. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I just keep a replacement battery on hand, mine last a good long time.

19. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Me too. I even leave mine plugged in between sets. But otherwise it's always unplugged.