Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Owners, I need some help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrebelpr, Apr 22, 2003.

1. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    Hey all

I've just bought a Stingray 5 for $800.00 the bass is absolutely mint. It included a nice gig bag and a extra pickguard with extra knobs.

I need some tips in order to get good sound with it.
    It has an absolutely wonderfull sound. But I need to know what I have to do to get a even more wonderfull sound

What are your settings with the bass?
    I want to make the bass growl, ideal for most types of rock.
    Also want to make a verygood slapping sound.

Thanx,

Danny T. Gonzalez

2. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    here's a pic of the bass

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hi, I don't own a stingray, but have messed around with them.

Sound is to each their own. One man's apples might be One man's oranges. Mess around with the settings. Your Amp could change the sound as well..

From what I've noticed, adding more mids will get you a bigger "growl". That is, if you have a 3 band Stingray. Thats what I found. Also, the switches could make a big difference. The growl comes alot from the mids.. So turn your mids up a tiny bit.

D

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the eq is extremely powerful. for rock i usually max bass switch to the back. add mids to taste. if you get tired of that shell pg i will take it off yer hands;)

5. Great looking bass.
    I've owned and played SR5's for about 8 years now and in a rock situation this is what I do. For faster R&R is set the togle switch to series ( towards the neck) and add a touch of bass and treble. For slower ballod type stuff I set the switch to single coil (in the middle) and turn up the bass until the output reaches the same volume as in series. For slap and pop stuff I usually run it in parallel (switch towards the bridge) and the EQ flat. But, whatever sounds good to you and to others, is good. It's all in your hands.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you want a lot of rough-sounding mids, put the 3-position switch in parallel position and bump up the mid knob on the EQ.

7. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    Thanx everyone for your advice!

I've been testing every single tip that you guyz gave me and the bass just sound good (is it the bass, huh? LOL).

If you have any other tip please keep posting it

Keep of the good sound

DTG

8. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    :D :D :D

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I used to own an SR5 and I loved it. I usually left the pickup selector back towards the bridge. To get the best tone is really going to be up to your ear.

What I suggest is first set the EQ flat.. then adjust the Treble, Mid, and bass to see what happens.. What I found worked best for me was boosting Bass and mids a bit.. I like to have the bass boosted for slap stuff as well.. I don't like to do Tons of adjusting during a song.. I tend to go from slap style to finger style in midplay and I don't have time to adjust the controls....

Finding that "stingray" tone isn't too hard.. and you won't have to adjust much if any for slap and fingerstyle playing

10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I use my friends Stringray 5 alot and I also prefer the pickup selector to be towards the bridge. Setting the EQ flat is a great way to find the tone you like. I do that on most of the basses I've used or played.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have two SR5's, and play them exclusively.

For general rock and funk, I keep the pickup selector in parallel (towards the bridge), midrange and treble flat, and bass knob one-quarter turn back from full-on. Occassionally I'll bump the midrange up just a tiny tad to cut through the mix better.

Congrats on your purchase! They're great basses!