Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray owners...need some input!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnL, Sep 20, 2002.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Wasn't sure if this went under pickups, setup, or luthier's forum. I am (attempting) my first DIY 5-string bass, and I have a Basslines MM style pup to install. I can't find anything online detailing pup placement, however. What I need from you Stingray-types is the dimension from your G saddle to the edge of the pup rout. (not the front of your bridge plate, as there are many different bridge dimensions) Thanks a bunch!

2. I have that information in my spread sheet.

The measurement for the standard MM pickup location is from the tuner side of the 12th fret. It is 13.125" inches to the center of the pole pieces closest to the neck. See the photo below.

This measurement is confirmed by several MM owners, and also on my Stingray 5.

Link to MM Pickup Position

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks! I was just trying to do the routing prior to attaching the neck, and I guess I thought it would be much simpler to measure it from the bridge saddle.

4. Bridge saddle distances change with intonation.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Yeah, I know. That's why I asked for the distance from the G saddle to the rout; I would have thought that dimension shouldn't change unless you change the scale length. (ie: 34" scale is always going to be {should be?} 17" from the 12th fret on the G)