Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Owners please. 4 string better sounding than 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bonafide, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I am going to purchase a Stingray bass this week. I have always wanted a Stingray 4 but right now I really need a 5 string bass. I figured a Stingray 5 could get me best of both worlds.
    I have heard that the Stingray 4 has a better 'classic' Stingray sound. Any truth to this?
    (I don't mean with the pickup or electronics)

Anyone with any experience on either please respond, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I searched the board for a 4 vs. 5 thread to no avail. If you can send me to any, that is great too.

2. The Sting Ray 5 sounds more closely to the Sterling than the actual Sting Ray. It is still an amazing bass that can get ver close to the Sting Ray sound, just not quite.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't know if I would say one has a better sound over the other. The stingray 5 has slightly different electronics.. but it still can atain that nice stingray tone no problems..I used to own an SR5 and it was a great 5-string.. has a tight low B...

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm sorry, I should have chosen my words better. I have heard that the Stingray 5 does not have the SAME sound as the Classic Stingray 4. I really want the sound and feel of the Stingray 4 and was wondering how much I would sacrifice if I went with the 5.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    like I said.. I don't think you will be sacrificing much tone if you go with the SR5.. the the pickup selector you can get very close to the Stingray sound.. I mean.. there really isn't that much difference in sound. If you can get around to trying one out that has been setup properly you might see what i mean ;).. good luck

6. i feel that the SR5 tone is farily close to the 4 string version. although, i also feel it isn't an exact match. to my ears, the 5 string version sounds slightly more polite and not quite as aggressive. it is still aggressive, but not the same.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    In my opinion, a 5 string will never sound like it's 4 string counterpart. It seems to me the wider the neck is the thinnier the tone. In every brand I've owned or played that offered 4, 5, and 6 string models the tone got progressively thinner when an extra string was added. I don't think it had anything to do with the electronics either because acoustically you could here the thinness. To go further, I don't think it's necessarily the the fact that the neck is stretched wider but that it's most often made thinner; the profile is not as think in order to be a little more comfortable. Thick necks seem to always sound fatter than the thin, fast necks. The musicman 5 neck seems quite thin to me.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd say if you really need and will use the low B, get the 5! Or else you'll be shopping again before too long...not that it's a bad thing!

9. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks again.
    My gut tells me to stick with the 4 string Ray. Besides those MTD's Kingstons seem like a great first 5 to own.
    Geezus, why is bass tone so addicting?
    Cheers.

10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea the stingray 5 is alot closer to the Sterling in sound. It doesn't have all the punch that the Stingray 4 has. I prefer the sound of the Stingray 4.