Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray owners...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Jul 17, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm just wondering what types of strings you like for the funky sound of the Stingray. I usually buy Ernie Ball's, but there is nothing really special about them for $20 a pack and I want to try something new that has a good sound with the 'Ray. Thanks for your help :)

-FSR

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Hey Funk,

I play a Sterling and prefer DR Nickel Wound Low Riders in 40,60,80,100. They produce a lot of low end clarity and warmth in comparison to SS Round Wounds which, to me, sound very sterile and metallic.

3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    How much do the DR's usually cost? That seems like the type of sound I'd like. Anymore suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks :).

-FSR

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    They're around $20 to 25 bucks and seem to have pretty good longevity. Though I've heard some reports here and there otherwise, I haven't had any go dead on me suddenly. All manufacturers have quality control issues now and then but I've never experienced it with DR's.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    DR's are cool, I also like the new Elixir Nano's on my 'Ray 5.

6. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I use 2 different brands of strings; ErnieBall's (it sound good in the store) Presurewound strings. They seem to last the longest on my Ray. I'm thinking of trying Slowwounds nexts. Or FatBeams.