StingRay pick-up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Apr 7, 2004.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    the poles of my stingray 5 are a little beat covered by the rust ...i would like to change the pick up anyone can give me some advise about it?
    what kind of pick up do i have to choose?
    is there a pick-up with less high frequency?
    now i keep the high level controll always to the minimum ..i know that is the electronics of the bass to produce a lot of high frequency but maybe there is some remedy ....changing pick-up or modyfing something to solve it.....can you help me?
    keep on grooving.....always...!!
  2. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    You would probably do better in the pickup forum. Bartolini makes MM pickups. The MMC model is less bright with more mid's and low's. They make a few other models (MME,MMX), but are geared toward the bright side.

There are a couple of Bassline pickups to. Alnico and ceramic I believe. Those are good sounding, but the guy at my local shop said he's had problem with those pooping out after a year or so. That was just his experience, so don't take it as fact.

Or you could just replace it with a stock MM. That way you won't change the sound of your bass.

Good luck!
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    why dont you just clean the pole pieces?
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    And get some big fat flatwound strings if you want a less aggressive (read: less treble) sound.
  5. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    To clean the pole pieces:

Glue a tiny piece of sandpaper to the bottom of a pencil eraser. Twist the pencil in a circular motion to clean off all of the rust.

Either put a tiny dab of WD-40 on the de-rusted pole pieces to prevent rust from coming back, OR coat the poles with clear fingernail polish.

I'm not a fan of replacing the pickup. It changes the sound in ALL cases, though some more than others. The #1 reason to own a 'Ray, in my book, is for the sound . . .
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay