Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray pickup probs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shikee, Oct 5, 2005.

1. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I have a Stingray that I purchased new at Guitar Center in April of 2004, and have noticed that pickup constantly pulls itself towards the strings. I can adjust it, and it will stay for a couple of weeks, and then I start to notice a chorus like effect when playing highup on the neck. The strings will almost be touching the pickup, and actually click off of it using a fairly light touch. So I lower the pickup and it will stay for a couple weeks, but then I am right back where I started. Is this normal?

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I never had this problem when I owned a Stringray and I beat it to crap. Are the adjustment srews that the p/u is held in place with easy to turn? If so you might want to unscrew the pup and put some wood splinters in the srew holes that hold it (like shavings from a tooth pick). This will give you more resistence on the srews which may keep the pick up from creeping up. Also the tension in your springs may be a factor as well.

3. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    it's defeinitely not an abuse issue .. it is my baby and only gets played at home .. i emailed EB, but thought i'd ask around and see if anyone on here had seen the problem while i awaited a response

4. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    thanks for the info ... i'm off to home depot