Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray pole pieces aren't under strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebass!, Jun 26, 2003.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I noticed that the pole pieces on my all-original (except maybe the pickguard) '86 'Ray are not directly under the strings! They're pretty close for the A and D strings, but the E and G string pole pieces are located too wide for the string - in other words the string goes over the pole piece towards the inner side of the pole piece. In particular the G string is off by about 1/3 the width of the pole piece. I've wondered why I had problems getting volume out of the G string but thought it was a neck dead-spot issue. the E string hasn't been as much of an issue due to the natural tendency of E strings to be louder and the fact that by playing fingerstyle I pull the string up (towards the pole piece) and release it closer to the center of the pole piece. The G sting is definitely a problem though. Now I'm thinking that there may be a way of fixing it by replacing the pickup. But first I'm wondering why EB would make it this way. There is no way to adjust the string spacing at the bridge. The big allen screws don't allow the bridge saddles to move at all. It just seems so wrong. Anybody else have this problem? Solutions?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The volume problem with your G stems from the manner in which the MM pickups are wired. They are wired in parallel on the 4-string models and, if you want to remedy it, you need to have 'em wired in series.

As for the pole pieces, this is pretty common, from what I understand.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well I have a SR5 that also has the same G-string alingment problem as the 4-string.As far as rewiring the pup,I've found that if you have the alnico pup then you can rewire it in series but if you have the ceramic pup then you may have a problem of distortion if you try to rewire it in series mode.You'd proably would want to call ErnieBall to get more feedback on both issues.