Stingray problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAT TAT TAT, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Ok, i bought a used EB stingray, and it the output is very very low, and the preamp knobs dont do anything. i just now tried it without the battery and there is no difference in sound. so im guessing it has something to do with the battery to preamp connection. any advice?
  2. ok, i dove in and i found out that BOTH wires from the battery box to the preamp came off. now i dont know which red or black go to positive or negative. and help there?
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi There.

Check out Ernie Ball´s web page ( I think they have the preamp´s diagram you need. Or maybe some of our friends here can tell you how it is wired. Good Luck.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Happened to me once too, pain in the arse to fix, but shouldn't be a problem after it's fixed.

I'd tell you how to wire it up, buy my Ray's all packed away. :(
  5. well, i just ruined it. i was testing which wire goes on which part of the 9 volt, and i tried it one was and it made a popping noise, and then it smelled bad inside the preamp cavity. im guessing i burnt something out. ****. i dont know what to do now.
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    It's possible you fried the preamp... email Ernie Ball, they're quite good at handling this sort of thing. good luck pal, this sucks.
  7. Aaargh!
    You stung the Stingray!!! :( :( :(

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Email Jon Smith at Ernie Ball. He's an awesome dude and specializes in repair. Even if you're the 10th owner of the bass he'll give you top customer support. Email him at jons [at] ernieball [dot] com .
  8. i emailed the guy, i'll post up his response.
  9. it seems that i would have to send in my old pre amp and pay 75 for the new one. would using an aguilar pre amp instead of the ernie ball one be too much of a change in sound? would it still sound like a stingray?
  10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Might require further mods to the bass like another battery box since I believe, and I could be wrong, that the OBP-1 is 18 volt only.
  11. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I'd pay the money to get it replaced. There is no other replacement for the original SR preamp.
  12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I concur the gentleman above.
  13. ok, thats what im gonna do then. thanks
  14. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    gotta love that ernieball customer service, theyre awsum
  15. yea man, i shipped the old preamp out yesterday. they were totally awesome about everything. it just sucks that i have to pay 75 plus shipping for the new one. oh well, gotta pay for my stupidity.
  16. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    In all honesty $75 is pretty cheap considering the cost of other preamps out in the market. The nice thing though you will still have an original SR so it will help with resell value should you ever want to sell it.
  17. very true. i was concidering buy the seymour duncan MM system with the pickup and preamp, or even just the preamp and just the pre amp alone at sam ash is 140. by keeping the original preamp i save money too. so it all worked out for the better. the only problem is my band is supposed to go back in the studio jan 3rd. and the old preamp's estimated arrival date at ernie ball is the 4th. so i'll just have to use a fender deluxe p that i been using. although i really wanted to use this sucker. this post is more of a journal entry than it is a post. thanks for listening haha. take care everyone.