Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Q's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danm, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Stingray ( Yippeee ) but something that my local dealer mentioned has me a bit worried ( don't know why, maybe I'm just being precious ).....

Just a reminder that I'm in Australia so stocks of new or used Rays are quite small....

I'm really Jonesing for a Natural/Maple jobby but the only one in Natural finish in the country ( apparently ) has a Rosewood neck... The dealer says no problem, We'll get that one in and swap the neck with this other Ray that we have here ( Red body )... It's either that or wait 12 weeks to get another one in from the USA...

I'm just a little concerned about possible warranty issues etc and also whether the neck will fit properly etc given that it hasn't been done in the factory...All of the Rays I have played have had great build quality etc and seem very uniform in their fit & all but just a bit concerned that I may be laying down AU$3500 for a possible Frankinray with no way of getting it fixed...

Please put my mind at ease or tell me to order one & wait the 3 months ( I'll manage somehow ;) ) or just tell me I'm being stoopid.

Thanks

2. I don't see why it wouldn't fit. There also shouldn't be any warrenty issue as long as you retain the neckplate.

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I had the exact same thing done with mine. You'd never know the difference. The neck fits tight. They probably have pretty uniform necks/pockets. As for the warranty issue, I'm not sure if it's an issue or not since I've never had a problem with the bass.

Dave

4. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    I'd be reluctant to change the neck. There is a code under the PUP to indicate the type of neck fitted to a particular Bass (ie Maple or Rosewood). Should warranty issues arise you may be questioned about the inconsistency.

5. I would say your only risk is getting a bad neck (almost impossible from EB) so I wouldn't worry about it. The warrenty is 1 year, and I serverely doubt anything will happen to the bass in that time meriting warrenty work, at least to the point of sending it into the factory. Most warrenty work is done at an EB dealer, not the factory, and what are they gonna do, send in the model/neck/colour information inside the pup cavity to EB? Not likely.

6. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    I would atleaset get the dealer to make a note of the neck change on the receipt.

I take MMs points but it may save a headache down the line, albeit unlikely.

7. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys....I appreciate it.

Perhaps my thinking isn't very clear today ( surviving on 3 hrs sleep )... I'm not particularly worried about warranty, As has been said, the dealer would most likely fix any probs on site rather than sending it away...And as for the neck, I have played the donor Bass and the neck was berry berry nice thankyouverymuch :) ...

Maybe it's more of an originality ( if that's a word ) thing that's sticking in my head.... Dunno..

Like I said... It's almost a months pay for me & I'd hate to get burned and turned off these beauties for life because of a misjudgement on my part.... It's been a dream of mine for quite a few years to have one so I guess I'm probably nitpicking...

Anyhoo, keep the ideas coming

Thanks again,

Dan
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Bastardizing it would negate your warranty I would believe.

9. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    The only warranty issue I'd be worried about is if a problem developed with the neck itself. . . I would think with any electronics issues, its not like anyone could make the argument that the different neck caused the electronics to fail.

As for the psychological part of it being a "frankenbass". . . One of the reasons the bolt-on neck was developed in the first place was to allow the user to switch out the neck for another for whatever reason. You're replacing one Musicman neck with another Musicman neck, not an aftermarket replacement. So yeah, its different than if it rolled off the assembly line with the neck you want, but its still all authentic Stingray parts. And, after you've got a little playing time on the bass, you'll probably think less and less about it as time goes by.

Just make sure the neck is a good fit before you put down the cash and walk out of the store. Examine it as closely as possible, before and after, to make sure there are no variations in fit and finish.

10. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
  11. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Perhaps I should add that EBs stance in the matter is totally correct IMHO...all due respects to the guy having probs.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    EB wont touch it if its modified from the original. They are sticklers for keeping accurate records on their instruments.

My take on it is that although maple/natural looks good, I like rosewood on the Stingray better because its already such a bright bass. To my ears the maple neckStingrays have almost to much bite. The rosewood is more mellow and I think it would still look really nice.

13. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Hmmmmmm.....

So maybe I was right in not being too happy about doing the swap....

I agree that they are not happy with just anyone diddling with their product too after giving it some thought....If I painted a masterpiece I wouldn't like someone else coming along and changing something for ANY reason....

Respect the craftsman.......

So now what to do about getting me a Ray?????

Decisions Decisions......:confused: :bawl: :bassist: :meh: :p

14. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Just call Ernie Ball.

They are really nice & will answer all your questions.

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Why dont you call one of the dealers near you and ask them to order the exact one you want?

16. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Yepppers...................

:p

17. If you can wait, then wait and get exactly what you want from EB. If you don't see yourself selling the bass anytime soon, I would wait the 3 months.

Remember: The short way is the long way, and the long way is the short way. ;)

Good luck.

Mike