Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Question to Owners or Anyone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Carrillo, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Carrillo

Carrillo

Mar 29, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I purchased a Stingray a few months ago, still loving this bass, got the blue burst color, its like the burnt apple but blue, ANYWAYS, on to a question
    I have a problem and wandering if anyone knows what I can do.

When im playing my Stingray with my band and everything is going, and its really loud, Its hard to hear my Basses bottom Strings, I can hear the top ones fine, in fact they are REALLY Loud, but the very bottom is almost impossible to hear, and this is very dissapointing because when im doing a bass line or bass solo its difficult to hear it, and im very upset, I mean come on I spent a couple grand canadian and im not satisfied? I used my old bass and played the same song with the same settings to see if maybe it wasnt the bass, and yes I could hear the notes perfectly.

Ive tried calling Ernie Ball and they were a bit of help.
    We tried making the pickups higher on the one side so that the bottom stings were higher, it didnt work, and now Im getting a bit of vibration and buzzing, and im very very upset about this. If anyone could help me I would be so grateful.
    -Thanks

2. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Same problem here. What I do is set the bass knob flat, and crank the mids and highs when I know I'll be going to the higher stings.

In rehearsal, I've seen the same thing, and felt the same dissapointment. Because it's a small basement, we usually are in sort of a circle. The singer is directly across the room from my amp, and he says he can hear it just fine, even when I can't.

Dave

3. wow. I've had mine for 2.5 years now and she has served me good.
    Well, it's probably your amp settings. Remember why basses are made different... to have their own distinguishing sound.
    I've used my Squire musicmaster right after using my Singray. My Squire didn't have the same highs as my Stingray (hence Stingrays are one of the brightest sounding basses). So I ended up just boosting a little more of the mids & highs.

Try playing around with the settings on your amp. You probably won't have to adjust much.

good tip: get index cards and right down your settings for bass, song, etc...

4. I guess all also add that Stingrays IMHO, have the greatest range from mids to highs. I feel that after I set my eq on my amp with all the knobs on the bass set to flat, I can easily boost lows, mids, highs with a quick touch.
    have fun.

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Carrillo,

This sounds like quite the dilema. However, I think you have a very fine bass (I own a SR5 fretless) and you should be able to dial in the low end you are looking for.

It sounds to me as though you have a few things to consider:

Bass: The general set up might need to be altered. Ernie Ball got you on the right track with getting the pickups closer to the lower strings. Obviously, this is done by raising the pickup or lowering the string. Since you mentioned that you're having a buzzing problem, the truss rod probably needs adjustment too. It took me a while to find the just the right neck bow on my Stingray. A little more back bow and dropping the lower strings might help achieve your desired low end.

Amp: Your new bass might just need a bassier eq from your amp.

Rehearsal Setting: It's possible that the main overtones that the Stingray is sending are competing with the same frequencies that your other band mates are emphasizing, thus drowning out your low end. Again, a little eq work might help.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think its a problem you should be able to solve. Just re-eq your amp and you should be fine. Figure out a setting that works well with the Stingray's "voice" and you will have no trouble hearing your lower strings.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a similar problem: my StingRay's D and G strings were getting lost in the band. The problem was that the polepieces of the pickup fully lined up under the E and A strings but barely sensed the D and G. I replaced the stock pickup with a Bartolini MME with bar polepieces and it solved the problem. I don't know if that's what's going on in your situation, but it's worth a look-see. Also switching to a light-top/heavy bottom string set might help.