Stingray questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris3142, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Okay, so I've had my Stingray for a while now and i'm just now realizing this... Its not very loud, When i put it into my Ampeg BA115 in the 0db input its not as loud as my passive fender P-bass in the 0db input. My stingray does have the Piezo pickup, but i'd like to know why it isnt so loud and should it be louder? someone help.
  2. when's the last time you changed the battery? You say you've had it for awhile, could it be that you've never changed the battery? That would be my guess for the first thing to check.
  3. yes, yes, i changed the battery the other day... no change. I thought of that too. thanks anyway
  4. FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    yeah, i have a stingray 5 and i experience the same problem, and i still dont know what to do.
  5. Hmm that's weird.. I always thought that Musicman basses had a relatively hot output. My fretless Stingray 5 is just a wee bit louder than my fretted Peavey.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm pretty sure about that your active stingray have to be louder than your fender p. an active bass is preamplified and normally louder than a passive bass. if you have tried to move the controls, if tou changed the battery, if you are sure about the right input on tha amplifier you have to go to a shop carrying tour bass with you and try another stingray, do a comparative test between yours and this new one on the same amplifier in the shop and you'll be sure if there is a problem with the bass or not. good luck
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My '92 StingRay is plenty loud. Have you tried adjusting the pickup so it's closer to the strings?
  8. All the TB memebers have given good advice,however if there is still a problem with your StingRay,take it to a qualified repairman.One time I think I fried the preamp in my '99 Ray or I actually had a faulty part.The store I bought it from (A,L,&M) paid for the shiping and Ernie Ball fixed it free of charge.Since it was brand new and still under warranty,I took advantage of their offer.Hopefully your dilemna isn't too serious.Let us know how it goes.
  9. Thanks everyone for all of your help. Moving the pickup closer to the strings made everything louder, but made everything muddy and almost distorted but not really, plus I like to slap and when i slapped the E string it would hit the pickup and make an unpleasent sound. I tried turning up the EQ and that also made everything muddy. When in the 0db output the volume is about the same as the P-bass, and it still sounds good, but when I put it in the -15db input on my amp it was very quiet. This wasn't a problem before i changed the battery, when i changed the battery it started to get softer, Does the type of battery matter? It had a musical intstrument battery in it, and I put an Energizer in it. can this be the problem or is it a pretty good chance that I blew the preamp some how, i dont really know how i would have done that I've only been playing the stingray a lot since christmas plus everything still sounds great, just not so loud. I suppose if i have to I'll take it to a repair man but I dont really know where i'd take it, the only places i know around here are Guitar Center and a place where then can do basic stuff like setups but i dont think they're very good with electronics. Should i try to e-mail someone at Ernie Ball? I really want to avoid sending it in to them, I love the stingray and i would much rather use it compared to the P-bass. Thanks for any help
  10. It wouldn't hurt to ask a repairman and someone at Ernie Ball.I'm no tech head and when I'm in doubt I ask the TB members and repair people.Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  11. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Chris, I'd contact Ernie Ball. They're really good about responding via email. When I had a question about my Stingray, I emailed all the service reps listed hoping one would respond to me. They ALL responded within 36 hours. FWIW, my Ray was LOUD. Couldn't get used to the neck profile, so I traded it in on a Sterling which I love and is also LOUD.

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah--Ernie Ball customer service is great. I emailed them earlier this week and they got back to me with useful information within a day. I've been able to buy parts direct from them for a reasonable price and a very quick shipping time. Good luck!