Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Replacement Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sonicvalley, Apr 29, 2005.

1. sonicvalley

sonicvalley

Apr 29, 2005
    Salem, OR
    I searched the forums and could not find an answer. anybody know of any? ... not a Music Man bridge but an aftermarket bridge
    thanks

2. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I agree. MM bridges (well, pretty much the entire bass) is top notch. Especially the hardware.

3. sonicvalley

sonicvalley

Apr 29, 2005
    Salem, OR
    i change strings very often (every couple of days) and just wanted a bridge that made changing easier.

4. sonicvalley

sonicvalley

Apr 29, 2005
    Salem, OR
    as far as string cost, i buy a probably 2 sets a month and switch between them every few days. when they aren't on, i soak them in denatured alcohol. in a few days they sound as good as new and there is no wear and tear on them as there is with boiling them. i had an endorsement a while back and got free sets all the time. that was great then, but this is a money saver now.

5. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    i've found that boiling your strings in a pot with a drop of bleach with the water just covering them works wonders, taking a few minutes rather than days....

just a helpful suggestion :)

6. sonicvalley

sonicvalley

Apr 29, 2005
    Salem, OR
    i could only boil mine once, maybe in a pinch twice, before they got too worn and "boiled out" and sounded bad. that is why i switched. maybe i was doing it wrong.

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Either you have very acidy skin, or you're a tad OCD. :p

Seriously, what need is there to manipulate your strings that much?

8. sonicvalley

sonicvalley

Apr 29, 2005
    Salem, OR
    i probably change once a week. OCD?? i just really like that sound of fresh bright strings and they lose that very top edge after several days. they don't sound bad, but they lose a little bit, thats all. am i missing something...

9. anyone out there have a replacement bridge for a stingray?

10. I have seen knock off bridges on ebay quite regularly but I am almost certain that such a cheap bridge will not be nearly as good as an EBMM genuine bridge.

What is the screw configuration on the bridge? if it's not too crazy perhaps and this is just speculating but perhaps a Gotoh, Hipshot or BA might work?

11. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no "drop in replacement" for a Stingray bridge. Looking at the bridge of mine, anything you decide to replace it with will probably require additional holes to be drilled for screws, and will probably not cover the exact area the current stock bridge covers.

That said, I agree that if you want quicker and easier string changes there's no substitute for the bridges with string slots instead of hole... ala Hipshot.

And... I've tried both boiling strings and soaking overnight in denatured alcohol. The overnight soak wins on every level. :smug:

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Hipshot has one. It does not have the big side bolt posts on them.