Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Mar 11, 2002.

1. I was just wondering for everyone who has Stingray 5's how far do you turn up the high, mid, and low. I'm not really sure what they should be for it to sound bassy but still get good upper and middle notes. Also what position is your switch in???

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    pickup switch towards the neck, this is both coils in series....

i have my eq set flat but i boost the bass on my amp, and i blend in a little bit of the piezo's too.

3. I've the switch in the bridge position (classic stingray sound) boosting the bass just a notch. All else is flat ,also on my amp though I occasionally boost the bass a little here too. I've found that the much hyped problem with the thinner strings on at Stingray not being loud enough, to be eliminated by not boosting the lower freq too much.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    my default setting is (with flat amp) series, vol full and all eq knobs flat. If the drummer gets rowdy I boost some bass from the SR5. I use series sometimes if I want to tame the highs a bit quickly.

5. uhm... don't wanne be rude CS, but when excactly do you use series?

6. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i dial the piezo out to about 90% magnetic 10% piezo on my fretless 5.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    carl anton I'm getting confused

The classic SR sound is series which on the 5 is with the switch pointing towards the neck. I point it towards the bridge to tame the highs which I understand to be the parallel setting not series as I stated. I dont want a flame war re the switches at this point in time.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well. I usually keep my switch towards the bridge.. I usually turn the bass up not all the way but up there.. The mids I turn up a good bit to.. depends on the room i'm in.. I turn the teble Up almost as much as the bass.. If i'm going to do some slap, i will turn the mids down.. If we play a smooth R&B song, I may through the switch into single coil... just maybe... I never really have had a problem with my bass being to bassy.....

9. CS, no flame fired but I'm pretty sure that the parallel setting (switch closest to the bridge) is the classic stingray sound. And, if I want to cut the highs a bit, I choose the series (switch pointing toward neck). Sounds like one of our basses is upsite down.
    :D

10. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Do not get some hiss turn the treble knob up?

11. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    The switch pointing towards the neck puts coils 1&2 in series with each other

The switch in the center position selects coil 1 and the "phantom" coil.

The switch in the bridge position puts coils 1&2 in parallel with each other:

[​IMG]

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    eduardo.. I have not had any problems with hissing when my treble is turned up. In fact bass bass is pretty silent on stage.... If you are getting a hissing sound when you turn up your treble, maybe you have a bad pot....

13. I'm pretty sure that series is the classic SR sound. The parallel sounds too mid scooped to be classic SR. I tend to use the middle position a lot. Sounds great flat eq through my SVT. Mine doesn't hiss when I jack the top end up. I use parallel when playing slap stuff because it scoops the mids and accentuates the highs. I think I speak for all of us in this thread that no matter which way you slice it, Stingray 5's sound tremendous! :D

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I like a bright tone, with my Sterling I just leave the EQ centered, and play it in series.

Phantom coil (hum cancelling single coil) is just too bright for me, it makes me click an insane amount. :(

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i used to go bridge position bass and mid floored... till i got my new amp....now bridge position flat and maybe a bit of a bass boost . booty for days